Is There Life On Mars ????

pipme said:
Can you get Mars bars in batter these days ? Perish the thought , but some have a life on such a diet .. allegedly :(

Speciality of Dundee, or was it Aberdeen ?

Sponsored Links
So who read any books on evolution? The question becomes not so much how carbon based life works, using lots of complex carbon molecules, but how it got started.

What we are is a handy string of data connected to an automated replication device. This accidentally developed a brain as part of its automated defense system and started getting big ideas.

Start looking closer at your computer. We hijacked mitochondria to supply power for our body cells. Just consider how you pc has hijacked us to help it reproduce.

So where did this carbon molecule thing come from? At least one lot speculated that the process started with more fundamentally crystaline processes which transferred to carbon molecules as conditions changed. Life on this planet may yet switch back to silicon. Computers will undoubtedly out think us if we permit it.

Freddie said:
kendor said:
I think it goes above and beyond just wanting to know if life exists elsewhere, Mother Earth is just not big enough to support us all anymore, her gifts are being stripped faster than it took to make them, you could almost say she is in the early stages of dying so if we wish to carry on the way we are at the moment then we need to know if mars could sustain us once terraformed.As this could take many centuries to happen, best we get a move on pronto.

It will most likely happen in your life time.
What i was meaning was that terraforming would take many centuries :)

Sponsored Links
All the talk about silicon before, there may be life but not as we know it.

Not sure terraforming will take off, at least not for the foreseeable future. Sticking an oxygen atmosphere on Mars and growing plants would be like gutting Hampton Court and then getting the "Changing Rooms" team to install a wood laminate floor and a funky gas fire. It would be humankind's biggest ever r*ping of nature. Don't get me wrong, I am in favour of colonies in big bubbles, just not widescale terraforming. Spoils the planet.

I think we need to do our best to make do with Earth. Convince stupid countries that massive population growth is NOT what they need. Get the whole world on 1.8 children for a few generations, "decrease the surplus population" to quote Dickens. Thus decreasing the demand on resources.

Perhaps one day we will have Star Trek-style technology that means we can travel to the stars at warp speed and find an Earth-like planet ready and waiting for us? Bags me Deanna Troi :LOL:

Damocles said:
Just consider how you pc has hijacked us to help it reproduce.

I'd never thought of it like that, but I guess it is true. Whilst not down to a conscious thought process, it is true that a computer requires attention be lavished on it, and it usually requires an heir (the PC you buy to replace it later).

There is some "professor" in the US who reckons that we might already be living in the Matrix... proof that the title of "professor" seldom carries weight if awarded in the US!

AdamW said:
There is some "professor" in the US who reckons that we might already be living in the Matrix... proof that the title of "professor" seldom carries weight if awarded in the US!
It's another twist on there being a supreme being somewhere playing with our lives ( God ).

It's another twist on there being a supreme being somewhere playing with our lives ( God ).

This idea can never be disproved because 'God', having made the universe, could just as easily hide its true origin. Even so I don't believe it. If there is one such supernatural entity then surely there are many more. Are they all playing with us? Do they take sides and place bets?

"I told you they'd never see that tsunami coming."

"Typical. I gave them an early warning system but the useless morons ignored it. OK, you win but 50p says they'll spot Zobb's asteroid"

As for the Matrix, which is also impossible to disprove, I don't believe that one either. Not even Microsoft could have written such a rotten program!

Reminds me of a joke.

Devout women is caught in a flash flood. She climbs to the top of the roof of her house. Sometime later a boat comes along, the guy in the boat says "hop in I'll take you to saftey" The women replies "No thanks, my lord will save me". The waters continue to rise then, sometime later another boat comes by the guy says "hop in I'll take you to saftey" The women again replies "No thanks, my lord will save me". The water still continues to rise, and is close to the top of the roof, when a third boat comes by the guy again says "hop in I'll take you to saftey", the women again replies "No thanks, my lord will save me". The water finally rises above the rooftop, and the women is drowned.

Understandably whilst waiting outside the pearly gates to be let into heaven, the women is annoyed and keen to meet god to ask why him (it) didn't save her. When she finally gets to meet the lord she says in an aggrieved tone, "I worshipped you all my life, I led a good, honest and decent life why oh lord did you not save me?"

God looked exasperated and relied, "what more do you want, I sent 3 bloody boats!!!"

Nice one Eddie. I've seen a few variations of it and it's always good for a laugh. Those Christian fundamentalists should try reading the bible instead of just bashing it. I'm sure there's something in there about God moving in a mysterious way.

felix said:
As for the Matrix, which is also impossible to disprove, I don't believe that one either. Not even Microsoft could have written such a rotten program!

Oh, I dunno, I'm convinced this universe BSOD's quite frequently. Well mine does anyway :D

felix said:
Don't you believe it! They'd give it a damn good try ;)

Adam why are you against terraforming Mars? is it from a "messing with nature" point of view?
I personally think it is something we will need to do in a very short period of time if our race is to survive into the next century and beyond.
I think the sustaining of life in a bubble has been proved not to work, with the abandoning of the project in the states.

Sponsored Links
Back