Is There Life On Mars ????

I find myself siting on the fence over terraforming but I'm leaning in AdamW's direction. It's a question of motive. If you want to terraform Mars as a scientific project, just to see if it works, AND if there's no life there already, carbon based or otherwise, then I'm in favour.

On the other hand, if you want to do it because we've made a total mess of Earth and we need the space then I'm against it. All we are likely to achieve is a second total mess - and since the surface area of Mars is only a quarter of what we have already that won't take long. Where do we go next? I don't fancy Jupiter!

Sponsored Links
felix said:
I find myself siting on the fence over terraforming but I'm leaning in AdamW's direction. It's a question of motive. If you want to terraform Mars as a scientific project, just to see if it works, AND if there's no life there already, carbon based or otherwise, then I'm in favour.

On the other hand, if you want to do it because we've made a total mess of Earth and we need the space then I'm against it. All we are likely to achieve is a second total mess - and since the surface area of Mars is only a quarter of what we have already that won't take long. Where do we go next? I don't fancy Jupiter!

Not surprised, life would be too pressuried, and you'd be prone to getting that sinking feeling every day on Jupiter

Worse than that, you're drowning in methane and you can't do anything about it because you haven't got a CORGI card! Still, as you contemplate the gravity of the situation you can always say "Life's a gas man!". (Quiet cringe. When's the next flight to Venus?)

PS: Did I dream this or are the Mars terraformers hoping to get some practice in on the millenium dome site?

felix said:

More for the fact of lack of resources left on earth would be the motive, From that point of view then i see nothing wrong with expanding out into the cosmos if some of the population moved there it would ease the problem here and give breathing space to think about the next move also making it easier for launching further space explorations.
Besides, we were formed (by whoever/whatever) to use commodities to exist, therefore if the local shop's shelves are empty we need to get in our motors and drive to the supermarket.

Sponsored Links
More for the fact of lack of resources left on earth would be the motive

That's what I call a bad motive

also making it easier for launching further space explorations

but thats a very good one.

Besides, we were formed (by whoever/whatever) to use commodities to exist, therefore if the local shop's shelves are empty we need to get in our motors and drive to the supermarket

I can't argue with that. Whether you agree with it or not (and I don't) the exploration and possible colonization of Mars will most likely be driven by economic - or worse military - pressures.

Felix,
You give the impression that we messed up here on earth so shouldn't have the chance of moving on elsewhere, I am not justifying it on a strip this planet and that planet but we as a race have a right to survive and if managed properly ie planted and reaped then i see nothing wrong with that.

Back