Is there such a thing as too many air vents?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just talking to a mate who reckons that every high point on the heating system should have either an automatic or manual bleed point.

just wondered if there is such a thing as too many?

Sponsored Links
If they are automatic one is too many, 'cause in years to come you'll be redecorating.

If a sealed system not necessary to go that mad.

If open vent probably wise.

But always use manual vents.

Unless you've got a very odd design (pipes going up and down a lot) you won't have many high points. The top of every rad will have a bleed valve; there might be a short vertical run off the feed to the cylinder with an air valve, how many more can you see a need for? The feed and expansion pipes are open at the top, so air should be able to rise out of them.

Ah, Bungalows with vast roofs an drops to all the rads.......all laid out to be self venting, with maybe one manual vent by the hatch..happy days, and a good profit ;)

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
Ah, Bungalows with vast roofs an drops to all the rads.......all laid out to be self venting, with maybe one manual vent by the hatch..happy days, and a good profit ;)

scary thats exactly what I have.

so seriosuly anyway I can check for a stuck automatic vent? is it worth replacing them with manual vents?

montechristo said:
Nige F said:

scary thats exactly what I have.

so seriosuly anyway I can check for a stuck automatic vent? is it worth replacing them with manual vents?
I would.Then you know they`re ok and can get access to them when you need..If you`re in Sussex, it might be one of mine ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back