Is this a good roofing/lead flashing job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My roof has a leak. I

Water ingress is coming in due to cracking of the concrete fillet adjoining the roof tile and on parapet wall

Called a roofer and he stated that he would do the following to rectify the issue

1. Remove the concrete fillet
2. grind a new chase into parapet wall
3. Install new lead and finishing with sealant.

Does this sound about right? Should i ask certain questions to ensure a proper job gets done?

Interestingly, when i called a second roofer, he insisted that I'd need a render stop bead. Something the first guy never mentioned

Sponsored Links
Pic

upload_2021-1-6_14-43-40.png

Sponsored Links
Why would there need to be a stop bead was there rendering involved in the first quote?

I can't see the new work to tell if it's a good job or not. o_O
The work hasn't been done yet

Before i hire the roofer i wanted to double check that the description of what he proposes to do sounds good or not?

I.e.

1. Remove the concrete fillet
2. grind a new chase into parapet wall
3. Install new lead and finishing with sealant

Why would there need to be a stop bead was there rendering involved in the first quote?

Not as far as i was aware.

The only possible involvement of render would be rendering the parapet wall. But we never discussed this

'finishing with sealant' rings alarm bells for me. What does that mean?
Hopefully not a bead of silicon between the lead and tiles.
SFK
That's precisely why I created the thread :D

When he mentioned sealant. I was like what? That does not sound right.

What's funny, is the many ways different roofers have stated they would do this lead job

One said that I'd need soakers.. Then another roofer said soakers are not necessary.

One said that a proper job would require a render stop bead, then another said that he'd need to hack off all the 'silvery thingy' (sic) on the parapet wall for a 'proper job'. While another said that's not necessary.

No consistency. You don't know who to hire to fix your roof.

A stop bead above the lead chase would be good practice
Cheers woody

Should i insist on the the roofer fitting a render stop bead? ie belt and braces

Or is it an optional/ not mandatory

What is the function of the render stop bead above the lead? Is it mechanically fixed and rendered?

Assuming the roofers will grind out a single straight joint in the wall, then a stop bead will allow the render above to be finished nicely and kept off the flashing. If the renderer is good and and can get a nice edge then it can go without, but its difficult.

Strictly I suspect it needs a bellcast bead not stop bead, But I can't think that a stop bead will be a problem as the flashing is set into the wall

If they are going to form an stepped flashing, then no need for a bead edge as the lengths are so small they should be able to be formed easily.

Found on the web at Refurbishment (restorationandrenovationonline.co.uk). This shows the principle
  • 20120808_095940.jpg

Assuming the roofers will grind out a single straight joint in the wall, then a stop bead will allow the render above to be finished nicely and kept off the flashing. If the renderer is good and and can get a nice edge then it can go without, but its difficult.

Strictly I suspect it needs a bellcast bead not stop bead, But I can't think that a stop bead will be a problem as the flashing is set into the wall

If they are going to form an stepped flashing, then no need for a bead edge as the lengths are so small they should be able to be formed easily.
He is not forming a stepped flashing

Just chasing a straight angled line on the parapet wall then sticking the flashing in and then he says that he will finish with 'lead sealant'

Similar to this
https://www.britishlead.co.uk/lead-pointing-sealant-flashings

Here is his written description

- Lead will be 3 inches above concrete fillet and 4 inches onto the tile. 1.5m sections with 6 inch overlap
- Grind a 30mm deep chase into the brickwork for lead to be inserted

It's weird because originally he verbally stated that he would remove the concrete fillet. I take it that that is a necessity?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back