is this a reliable earth connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Grrrrrrrrr, don't have thhis picture linking down to a fine art. or any art for that matter.

never mind, click for the full picture, it should be fairly clear.

Interesting job replacing a boiler which has a few slight complications.
The overall one being cowboy work throughout the flat.
Mysterious shorts, J-B’s with no cover, MEB with multicore, interruptions and undersized to name by a few.
Earth comes into the building supplied by DNO, goes to MEB, then from MEB on to the sheath, if you can call it that, of a second supply cable which disappears into the floor and pops up next to the flat’s CU and connects to a second MEB which then connects to CU and (hopefully) to some internal pipework.
Can I be sure that this kind of supply is one continuous unit, or is it possible that there are screwed connections?

Looking at how the flung things together here, almost anything is possible.

Sponsored Links
connections look secure but my god its messy wouldnt like to walk into that on a monday morning no offence actually middle clamp is wrong tag is incorrect

connections look secure but my god its messy wouldnt like to walk into that on a monday morning no offence actually middle clamp is wrong tag is incorrect

Ahum, this picture is AFTER a “registered company” had improved it yesterday.

No sign of bonding to the water pipes, gas pipes bonded with short links to each other.
Bunch of wires going into the great void.

Sponsored Links
My question is actually about the part where the bs 591 clamps are on.

This disappears under the floor and then comes up and is connected to the CU.

Judging by the quality of what I found downstairs, I want to absolutely sure that this has no screwed connections under the floor. If there is even a small possibility that it CAN be possible, I want a new 16 mm to the CU

If thats an improvement id hate of seen it yesterday i suppose thers alot worse out there

they appear to have used copper conduit which is odd (and must have been expensive).

I wouldn't have thought the lengths coud be more than 8' long without a connection.

If they were heavy steel conduit you'd expect screwed connections, if thin steel, slip connections. no idea what they do with copper. Apart from a resistance test along the length of the conduit, you can't be sure without inspecting it. The pulled bend looks neat, so it was probably well-fitted when it was new.

JohnD

Your pulling our leg.- Are you?

Its good old MICC. Many years ago there was a shortage of pvc type cable and MICC was used quite extensively

JohnD

Its good old MICC. Many years ago there was a shortage of pvc type cable and MICC was used quite extensively

Does that mean it is guaranteed not to have slip or screw connections hidden somewhere?

I have put slightly better pictures up if that helps

JohnD

Does that mean it is guaranteed not to have slip or screw connections hidden somewhere?

NO. Came in coils and you cut to length and put pot on which is what you see. Would be terminated into a junction box either with a gland or a box fitted with specific clamps. Copper clips have been used in the case you have shown.

that doesnt look like MICC ... if it is then the cores are single insulated which needs to be enclosed ?

JohnD

NO. Came in coils and you cut to length and put pot on which is what you see. Would be terminated into a junction box either with a gland or a box fitted with specific clamps. Copper clips have been used in the case you have shown.

Sounds like i would do well not to rely on this for earth then and stick a new, one length, 16mm cable in, just to be sure.

they look like vir's or rubber cables going into copper conduits with rubber 'cable protectors' on the end

anyway, what ever it is there is probably joins and its heavily oxidised and possibly corroded in places

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back