is this a reliable earth connection?

they look like vir's or rubber cables going into copper conduits with rubber 'cable protectors' on the end

anyway, what ever it is there is probably joins and its heavily oxidised and possibly corroded in places

right, new cable it is then.

thanks for the help everyone

Sponsored Links
they look like vir's or rubber cables going into copper conduits with rubber 'cable protectors' on the end

Definitely 2 core MICC, the finest cable available.
At college (many moons ago) we were given a 1 meter piece of 2L1.5 MICC and a couple of pots. We made a pot off on each end, did an IR test and polarity then whacked the cable a few times with a plastic mallet. The cable was then left in a bath of water overnight. The following day we were then asked to carry out another IR test on the cable which showed perfect results.
It will practically last forever!!

It's amazing how many electricians don't recognise MICC, or have the knowhow to make an end off :(

JohnD

Your pulling our leg.- Are you?

Its good old MICC. Many years ago there was a shortage of pvc type cable and MICC was used quite extensively

I wasn't pulling your leg

I know MICC

I didn't think it was though :oops:

anyway, what ever it is there is probably joins and its heavily oxidised and possibly corroded in places

Jim Go into an electrical wholesalers and ask to see bare MICC. Ask to see a gland pack which will come with a pot and a stuffing type brass gland. Ive made off 100s of pyro ends and what you see is what it is, a pyro end

You are spot on with your last sentence. Leave well alone. It will probably be imperial and if it is damaged and needs to re-poted it will be a nightmare simply getting the pots, far less fitting them

Sponsored Links
I've seen installations wired up in the 30's with MICC & it's still going strong.

Fantastic workmanship, all those cable bends, beautifully clipped & runs as straight as a roman road...

Pyrobending.jpg

It's MICC (pyro)

Best cable ever made.

The earth will be absoloutly fine. No need for an additional 16.0mm²

http://www.buildingdesign.co.uk/elec/pyro/pyro-7.htm[/QUOTE]

Agreed - Well nearly

Ben

Has any testing been carried out? Ze from other end of pyro's?

Is this also "Large Victorian house is split into 4 flats."?

no testing done yet other than a couple of sockets, which were okay, but that was with all the meb connected.

it is the same building, if you follow the pics you should be able to see a couple of photos i took from the boiler. :eek:

glad to hear the earth is sure to be fine, would have been a right job to get the new cable through.:cool:

ive seen a bit of MICC, still doesnt look like it to me, but if u say it is then ill believe .... to be sure, just try bend the cores a little, if its stiff then they are solid conductors, so sure to be MICC

ive seen a bit of MICC, still doesnt look like it to me, but if u say it is then ill believe .... to be sure, just try bend the cores a little, if its stiff then they are solid conductors, so sure to be MICC

will make sure i do that with well insulated tool, just in case the inulation has become brittle. :(

IT IS SODDING PYRO FFS :LOL:

bold sparkies, old sparkies.
this coward is planning to be much older one day.
I work in London, don't trust any work unless I know the guy who did it is good.
There are guys here of a certain nationality that go around picking up pipe, cable, boilers and what have you, and it does not go to the scrapyard.
VDE forever!

good to see a heating engineer being this cautious with the electrics.
they usually dont care or posses the knowledge.how many times have i seen a corgi cert being done where the engineer looks at the meter and sees 10mm clamped to it and leaves it at that!

Those MICC cables look as though they are connectd directly to the cutout, so they presumably feed meters elsewhere in the building. Surely that would make them the property and responsibility of the DNO? I've seem a similar arrangement used to feed flats above shops around here.

Paul

Those MICC cables look as though they are connectd directly to the cutout, so they presumably feed meters elsewhere in the building. Surely that would make them the property and responsibility of the DNO? I've seem a similar arrangement used to feed flats above shops around here.

Paul

Interesting point, no idea. dno seems not very interested. anyway, the leccie is fine, it is mainly the earht that is a chaos. and the wiring after the meter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back