Is this an attempt at a Rip-Off ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Lads,
After deciding that it wouldn't be in my best interest to attempt to fit a new boiler myself, I decided to call a couple of local fitters to get some quotes for replacing my old Myson Central Heating Boiler.
One guy came down today while I was at work, our lass showed him to the boiler position & after having a quick look at the original pipework, he stated that he would have to change it quite a lot due to it being non-standard ??? He said he would let me "Think About It" & to ring him back for a quote ???? - Sounds WELL dodgy to me - am I right ?
Our lass said that he was referring to a link-pipe that existed between the feed & return pipes, underneath the boiler ( see pic. )

linkpipe.jpg

I've found out from the house paperwork that the CH was fitted about 20 years ago. Have the rules changed now so that that pipe has to be removed or summat ? The system has an overflow/fill tank in the loft, so I presume it is classed as fully pumped/vented yes ? I was guessing that the pipe may be something to aid with filling/draining or summat ?

Also, the boiler flue exits directly through the wall from the back of the boiler ( a balanced flue I presume ? ) with no ductwork needed. Most of the boiler installations I seem to see atm have a separate pipe leading from the top of the boiler case. Can the old type of direct flue boilers still be bought ? It would save me a bit on having to do more brickwork if I could just use the existing flue-hole on the new boiler, as I would be able to make-good any alterations that the fitter had to make to the opening myself, once he had finished the work to the boiler.

I am still waiting for a response from the other fitters but if any of yooz guys could point me in the right direction as to whether this work would actually be required would help a lot.

TIA-Shaky

Sponsored Links
That looks like a bypass (between flow/return) on the central heating circuit, If your heating enginner thinks its complex then he cant have much of a clue.

Get a few quotes and get him to explain his plans.

Al

The pipe inquestion is a by-pass and will need modifying as will the pipework around the boiler.

Certainly not a major repipe, but saying that there could be issues that need sorting, e.g. the cold feed and vent etc.

Whatever or whoever does the job a proper powerflush is essential on an old system.

Also consider the Magnaclean filter

Nice unit 3 though :LOL:

How is that still running. Do you only run your system once a year :LOL: :D

Sponsored Links
Non - Expert opinion,

As said that is the bypass, building regs require an AUTOMATIC bypass and not a 'gated' one (which you have) though the provision of the auto bypass is down to the specific instructions with the new boiler and the system layout S/Y-plan etc....(y plan 'generally' dont require a bypass). But either way its not really gonna effect the price. is it fully pumped at the moment? (has the plumber mentinoned room stat and thermostatic radiator valves also).

Nice unit 3 though :LOL:
How is that still running. Do you only run your system once a year :LOL: :D

I take it from that quip that they aren't exactly renowned for reliability ? :LOL: As far as I know, it's the original pump that was fitted when the CH was installed in 1985. According to the original home-owner, he'd had no extra work done to the CH since he had it fitted, looks like he's been a lucky bloke then aye :eek:

And get some quotes from decorators! Have you no shame?

Let's just say I'm in the process of re-modelling the bedroom :cool: At present there is no plaster on the walls, just re-floored with chipboard & am in the process of re-building the stud wall back up !

<b><i>layout S/Y-plan etc</i></b>
<b><i>is it fully pumped at the moment? </i></b>
<b><i>room stat and thermostatic radiator valves </i></b>also).

1.Hmmm....How do I tell what is Y & what is S plan ?
2.All I know is that there is the pump fitted ( on the photo ), that works every time the CH turns on. When the heat is reached, both the Boiler & the Pump switch off. ( This happens way too often as I had to turn the Boiler Thermostat down to the minimum setting, otherwise you could hear the water boiling in the unit itself, then it used to switch off & EVERYTHING shut down - gas as well !! - I presume this is the overheat cut-out doing it's job. I got well ****ed-off with running upstairs every half-hour to re-ignite the pilot. - Hence the need forra new boiler :))
3.There is a room stat fitted already, although no trv's on any of the radiators.

fitz1 said:
me thinks man came , saw chipboard floor and legged it. :LOL:

He would have definitely "Legged It" if he came down before I re-did the floor. I nearly went through the damn thing myself - floorboards were rotten as hell. God knows what the previous owner had been doing to miss that his floor was rotting. :eek:

It's all been replaced with spanking new treated 8'x2' chip. I'm gonna be carpeting the bedroom anyway, so I couldn't see the point of spending a fortune on floorboards when caberboard is much cheaper. ( Especially when most of my work for BT is on new housing estates & there are always generous Site Foremen who don't mind the odd couple going astray ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back