Is this asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a plumber round today who pointed o it that the lagging around my pipes might be asbestos. I had hoped it was just hair felt (especially as I was recently rooting around in there to clear out debris…).

Can anyone please advise?
E7C7C554-B53E-4B16-8F27-52F924485B1E.jpeg
0AACB354-B986-4032-8102-B0D00073B3FD.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I had a plumber round today who pointed o it that the lagging around my pipes might be asbestos. I had hoped it was just hair felt (especially as I was recently rooting around in there to clear out debris…).

Can anyone please advise?View attachment 266378View attachment 266379
Most of it looks like fibreglass to me, but maybe others will have different opinions

Looks like Fibreglass to me, but judging by the pipework, it's of an age where asbestos could well have been used in the build. I would exercise caution when doing any other work around the place as to whether asbestos may be present.

Need to be careful and if ever in doubt, get it out. Only certain types of asbestos products should be handled by a DIY'er and some need to be removed by a licensed co but that's doing it by the book, isn't cheap though.

Alternatively, Gloves, goggles and FP3 mask and proper protocols (wet down, no cutting etc) and get it out of there, double clear bagged and into the correct waste area at your local recycling. Clothes into washing and shower down etc.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back