Is this breakdown cover too good to be true?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've been looking for cover and found one with emergency assist. They score highly on trust pilot. It's £50 and covers everything apart from misfuelling. There's also an option to cover parts and labour for repairs up to £500 for £22.50 a year! should you have a problem.
Thought I'd mention it here in case anyone thinks I may have missed something. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Seems to me they're cheap as chips these days, as an add-on to insurance, chances are you'll never need them IME, I've needed a tow about twice in the last 30 years and been stranded less than that.

You havn't said who they are.

Andy
Emergency assist.
Seems to me they're cheap as chips these days, as an add-on to insurance, chances are you'll never need them IME, I've needed a tow about twice in the last 30 years and been stranded less than that.
But £22 add on to cover repairs up to £500. I think you can make 2 claims a year. I knew someone who paid about£40 a month for that. There's good to be a catch hasn't there?

Sponsored Links
Emergency assist.
But £22 add on to cover repairs up to £500. I think you can make 2 claims a year. I knew someone who paid about£40 a month for that. There's good to be a catch hasn't there?
No because the chances of you claiming twice in a year are very low, it's just another type of insurance. You could write two cars off in a year. How many times have you broken down over the years? Assuming you drive a modern and maintained car?

The catch will be in the small print. If the condition is that you must use a particular repair shop, you are going to find the the repair cost will be a lot more than £500.

No because the chances of you claiming twice in a year are very low, it's just another type of insurance. You could write two cars off in a year. How many times have you broken down over the years? Assuming you drive a modern and maintained car?
As if happens there's something in the small print saying that may ask to see your service record if you make a claim. Any idea what they would want to see? I've been doing the oil myself for a while now. The other filters are only a year old but again I did them so only a receipt from euro car parts etc.

Well, that's your catch right there. They don't specify the full conditions. Then they can make up additional conditions that will suit them..

I've always had breakdown cover and never used it.
I should've kept the money.

Despite the huge premiums demanded by the AA, I have stuck with them.......service really second to none I've found.
Examples:
Honda Pan European, punctured in Oxford, hire car and expenses home;
Honda Blackbird, collapsed rear wheel bearing in Portsmouth ferry terminal - journey home, overnight accommodation;
Honda VFR1200, punctured on the A1 Alnwick by pass;
Nissan Note, punctured in Sunderland;
Honda HRV, punctured on the North York moors, trailered to Whitby.
With the last two, I'd be on my way in 15 mins if the cars had a spare wheel :(
John :)

As if happens there's something in the small print saying that may ask to see your service record if you make a claim. Any idea what they would want to see?
Most breakdown insurance policies that involve a claim for parts and labour would want to see a service receipt from a VAT registered garage. Not because it would be a 'better' job, just that it would be dated and more importantly, numbered. Not easy to get a vat registered garage to give you a backdated receipt because of numbered and dated invoices and they wouldn’t want to come under any investigations by the vatman.

I've always had breakdown cover and never used it.
I should've kept the money.
Yes I've never had it and just expect it may potentially cost me a few £££s if the worst happens and I'm miles from home but still a saving overall no doubt. It'd be more hassle too I daresay but there we are.

We’ve had it for the last ten years or so since we first bought a Landrover. Plenty of trips far away from home and not even towable if it broke down. I always insure the person and not the car - both me and Mrs Mottie are covered in any vehicle, even as a passenger. Used it a few times. AA. The AA will also transport your dog if you have one with you - certain exceptions apply. That’s Important for us - some companies won’t transport dogs.
Broken steering lock cover on a Suzuki Burgman - lifted and towed to the main dealer.
Accident recovery - knocked off my bike once and taken on stretcher to hospital. Recovery driver came to hospital, collected keys, went back, picked up bike, took it home and put it in my garage for me.
Intermittent fault on our diesel Golf - diagnosed on the road and gave me an old secondhand ignition relay to get me home.
Had a couple of punctures on our Evoque - changed the wheel myself but it was a struggle changing a 245/45/20 wheel on an Evoque on the side of the road using the car Jack and wheelbrace without getting dirty - I now carry disposable paper overalls and gloves. No way would Mrs Mottie be able to change a wheel on any car if she was on her own.
I always buy through TopCashback and get a fair whack back. Only availible on new policies so each year, Mrs Mottie and I take turns in being the 'new' policyholder and name the other as the additional driver. ;)

Just looked and they have put their prices up and cashback down considerably this year so may look at others when it’s time for renewal.

Last edited:
Calculating the cheapest option, paying hundreds of pounds for breakdown cover that you've never needed or forking out for a major recovery once in a blue moon would be a nightmare without the benefit of hindsight.

I have been a member of GEM for 31 years & no doubt fall into the former category, but for less than £100 a year for full cover it gives me peace of mind, especially as the combined age of my two (well maintained) cars adds up to 60 years ;)

Sponsored Links
Back