Is this breakdown cover too good to be true?

Sponsored Links
I hear you pay more for life insurance the older you are when you take it out, despite never ever dying in the past.….

Yes probably, as you're building an insurance, the later you take it out, the more per month you'll have to pay to build the pot up.

However breakdown cover, a policy only lasts the one year, so the cost is only for the one year.

Yes probably, as you're building an insurance, the later you take it out, the more per month you'll have to pay to build the pot up.

However breakdown cover, a policy only lasts the one year, so the cost is only for the one year.
…and the odds of a 15 year old car breaking down are greater than a one year old one, hence the increase in premium.

Sponsored Links
…and the odds of a 15 year old car breaking down are greater than a one year old one, hence the increase in premium.

No they're not. Most breakdowns are always from cars less than 5 years old. That is not a reason to increase a premium, as recovering a car is exactly the same regardless of its age. If it was ok to tow it last year, then why does it cost more the next? No reason at all.

No they're not. Most breakdowns are always from cars less than 5 years old. That is not a reason to increase a premium, as recovering a car is exactly the same regardless of its age. If it was ok to tow it last year, then why does it cost more the next? No reason at all.
Got any official stats for that or is that just a guess?

If that were true, they would be more expensive to insure against breakdown when under 5 years old, getting cheaper as they age. Strangely (or not) it’s always the opposite. You best get on to all those silly multi-million pound breakdown insurance companies who don’t appear to know as much about the breakdown market as you do.

If that were true, they would be more expensive to insure against breakdown when under 5 years old, getting cheaper as they age. Strangely (or not) it’s always the opposite. You best get on to all those silly multi-million pound breakdown insurance companies who don’t appear to know as much about the breakdown market as you do.

Personal experience and what I see on the roads.

Do you have any official stats to suggest my car is more likely to cost more to put on a tow truck next year?

The older a vehicle becomes, usually the less the annual mileage done each year, so fewer opportunities to breakdown.

Are you sure that is correct. On my travels, most breakdowns appear to be newer vehicles.

Not necessarily accurate but certainly worth questioning

Personal experience and what I see on the roads.

Do you have any official stats to suggest my car is more likely to cost more to put on a tow truck next year?
Ah well, I’m only going on 45 years personal experience in the motor trade and I find it’s the older cars that break down more than newer ones but I suppose you won't believe that.

Ah well, I’m only going on 45 years personal experience in the motor trade and I find it’s the older cars that break down more than newer ones but I suppose you won't believe that.
I'm motor trade too. And your comment is just wrong.

Very rare older breakdowns get taken to a garage. Newer ones usually always do.

Define new versus old I guess. But I'd be comparing up to 5 /6 years old area versus 10 year old plus.

Sponsored Links
Back