Is this earthing method dangerous?

I get in trouble for looking at the steel conduit and tray work in supermarkets...if I started looking at my neighbours earthing arrangements every time I popped in for a bowl of sugar I think I'd be up for divorce!
I find cinemas much more interesting than supermarkets as you tend to get a good mixture of power, network, fire and HVAC wiring, as well as plenty of pipes and ducts and ponder over while you wait in the queue.

I recently went to France for a week's break and when examining my camera on my return I found a couple of shots of 'interesting' wiring that I don't even remember looking at. :oops: Heaven forbid I ever get to see the inside of a power station!

Sponsored Links
I get in trouble for looking at the steel conduit and tray work in supermarkets...if I started looking at my neighbours earthing arrangements every time I popped in for a bowl of sugar I think I'd be up for divorce!
I find cinemas much more interesting than supermarkets as you tend to get a good mixture of power, network, fire and HVAC wiring, as well as plenty of pipes and ducts and ponder over while you wait in the queue.

I recently went to France for a week's break and when examining my camera on my return I found a couple of shots of 'interesting' wiring that I don't even remember looking at. :oops: Heaven forbid I ever get to see the inside of a power station!

I was quite miffed that I lost all my photos of the public address system in York Minster.

Whoever wired up the local Red Cross shop omitted the grommets on the fluoro lights.

You should see some of the older and busier (and hence much fiddled with on a pretty continual basis) London tube stations...

Sponsored Links

Last time I was at a power station cameras were banned - I wasn't even allowed to take my phone with me. (Hydro station at Llanberis)

If it was PME there would be a label saying so wouldn't there.
The way I see it ... even if the supply is PMEd (which doesn't, in itself, necessarily mean that the intsallation has been connected as TN-C-S), the DNO clearly weren't (well, one sincerely hopes they weren't) the ones who were responsible for splitting the CNE after the meter, so they would not have had an opportunity to fit a ('DNO') PME sticker, would they?

Kind Regards, John

Last time I was at a power station cameras were banned - I wasn't even allowed to take my phone with me. (Hydro station at Llanberis)
I've been there, I think.

Certainly have been to a pumped-storage power station in North Wales.

Don't remember any restrictions on what you could take in.

In my current job I've met a foreign colleague who has as a customer a major European car manufacturer, and he has to go into areas where cameras are banned and he has to be 2-way accessible.

You try finding a mobile phone these days without a camera.

When I was at college we were given a tour of Oldbury Power station. I don't think the public are allowed in there now.

Of the two hydro stations in North Wales I think the only one with a visitor centre is Dinorwig at Llanberis, just across the road from the Snowdon Mountain Railway.
I don't think a mobile phone, even without a camera would work inside a mountain anyway. They had us put out phones in a locker in the visitor centre before the bus took us inside the mountain.
The only power station similar to Oldbury I am aware of with a visitor centre now is Wylfa on Anglesey, Wylfa being AGR though and Oldbury being an older Magnox.

Ah that brings back memories. As a young lad we used to holiday in Scotland and Wales - and often used to call in at power (hydro) stations on the offchance. If they weren't busy with maintenance they often give us an impromptu tour.

Doubt it would happen these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back