Is this normal? Tiles around velux look messy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I was wondering if someone could take a look and let me know if this is normal. I know the tiles are supposed to kick up abit by the windows but it seems they are not sitting quite right. The roofer said that it's done like this in order to be insulated well. Is there anything that can be done to tidy it up? I have checked out other houses and never seen it like this before.
Thanks,

4togt2.jpg

Sponsored Links
A few comments on these pics.
Firstly I would be more concerned about the use of this tile on such a low roof pitch.. i'd guess less than 15 degree. Not rerally 35 is it?

It has to leak onto the underlay at the moment.

the lead flashing has not been pointed in, a good case for lead seal mastic there..

Also I cannot see an eave tile as an under course at the bottom of the roof.

the velux could look neater even if the reccommended flashing has not been used.
looks like and EDZ or EDW has be used , using these flashings and careful tiling you can make the tiles sit tighter.

However if you had use the reccomened EDP then childs play...

Sorry to be bearer of bad news... I am sure the above will be backed up shortly.

looks as though they have used dpc under the eaves course.
deffo wrong tiles for the pitch on the roof.
wrong flashing on velux!
everything else as data said.

Hi,
Thanks very much for your replies, I was afraid this was going to be the answer. Not sure what the pitch is, will have to ask my husband. Basically they were going to use the large concrete ones but we didn't like the look of them so they brought these as an alternative.

Is this a big job to fix? Do you think we should mention it now or wait until the extension is finished? I wouldn't want them to fix this and then cut corners from other bits. We are in such an acward position as the builder is a good friend. What a mess! Will it cost them a lot to fix? Do they have to take all the tiles off?

Ok so basically I should say that the flashing is wrong, the lead flashing has not been pointed in, needs an eave tile as an undercourse.

Also do you think they should just change the flashing completely to the EDP type or can this be fixed with the existing flashing and look good and neat?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
the lead flashings fine! datarebal just brought to your attention that it has yet to be pointed.

the pitch of the roof really is not sufficient for the type of tile which they have used.

its also difficult to tell what they have used for an undereave from the pics.

you should work out the pitch of the roof then google the appropriate tiles for the pitch.

you should also speak to your builder about your concerns so far.

Looks like the roof has not been done by a roofer but by a builder who has a "bit" of roofing exp.Im not slagging builders for roofing as i know some builders who are great roofers but i dont think thats the case here.

The pitch is less than 15 degrees without a doubt.
The reccommended pitch for plain tiles such as these is 35 degrees.
After it has rained hard, lift a tile and the batten will be wet.

i'm a little uncomfortable with the weathering around the down pipe too.

The flashing can simply be pointed in with Lead mate or similar.

Basically they were going to use the large concrete ones but we didn't like the look of them so they brought these as an alternative.

So, the builder built the roof, bought the velux with flashing kit and was about to tile it when you asked for an alternative tile!

Aaanyhoo, he should have known that plains should not be used on less than 35 degree pitch, even if you insisted.

It is likely he was going to install something ugly like Marley Wessex or similar. They ain't the prettiest of tiles but they do a job.

Hi,

No they had not ordered the tiles or the windows yet. They brought us one concrete sample which we thought was too large as it was huge compared to our roof tiles. So we asked if we could have something smaller and then he brought us a sample of the ones that we eventually used. They said that these smaller ones were new ones that have just come out and that they are fine for 15% pitches. These were actually more expensive than the original ones he showed us and he did not charge us more for them, which I appreciate.

The thing is if I had known these would look like this I would have just gone with the original type he suggested but we were never warned they would look like this.

The roof tilling was done by same guy that did the electrics and carpentry and everything else has been to a good standard which is why I feel so acward about this. The guy is employed by our builder.

Thanks very much for all your advice!

Electrics :eek: FFS - I know I ridicule and lampoon all the PC brigade etc. BUT NOT electrics . Surrey - last chance saloon for the Chancers :rolleyes:

They said that these smaller ones were new ones that have just come out and that they are fine for 15% pitches.

Do you know what make / model these tiles are? i have recently been through the same process for a 20 degree pitch and settled on the Redland mini stonewold with a mock bond line to give the impression the tiles are actually two rather than one. google them and you will see what i mean. I used these with the EDZ flashing kit and they look brilliant.

I couldnt find any tiles like yours for a 20 degree pitch. even the interlocking stonewolds only go down to 17.5 degree.

Thanks
Jason

They said that these smaller ones were new ones that have just come out and that they are fine for 15% pitches.

I couldnt find any tiles like yours for a 20 degree pitch. even the interlocking stonewolds only go down to 17.5 degree.

Thanks
Jason

The reason you could not find them for this pitch is because they dont exist.
They are bog standard plain tiles for 35 degree and above.
Google all you like!
How ever there are interlocking tiles that will go down to 11.5 degrees..

Thanks Datarebel,

I had already reached that conclusion, that was just a gentle way of telling Alicia1982 that i dont think they are new or go down to a 15 degree pitch :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back