Is this ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just laying some insulation in my loft. There's a double plug socket up here, I had a look and it's connected directly to the consumer unit to a 32a rcd via a 4mm cable (might be a 2.5mm cable).

Shouldn't it be in a ring main or something? Not connected directly to the unit?

Sponsored Links
Just laying some insulation in my loft. There's a double plug socket up here, I had a look and it's connected directly to the consumer unit to a 32a rcd via a 4mm cable (might be a 2.5mm cable).
If it is 4mm² cable then it is fine. End of.
If it is 2.5mm² cable then it is only fine if the socket is the only one on the circuit.

Shouldn't it be in a ring main or something?
Interesting question.
No it doesn't have to be on a ring. Ring circuits are not compulsory.

What would you consider as "something".

Not connected directly to the unit?
:?:

Do not cover the cable with insulation.
If you don't need the socket and the cable has to be covered, then remove it - and the cable.

"something" is the other type of socket set up, I know that ring main is the most common, but there's another type but I can't remember what its called. It's the only socket on the circuit, yes, won't be adding others either.

I won't be covering with insulation, all the cables will run in top of the insulation.

What about lighting circuits, ideally all the cables will run on top of insulation, but as these are lower powered can they run under in places? I've fitted downlight covers over all the light fittings up here.

"something" is the other type of socket set up, I know that ring main is the most common, but there's another type but I can't remember what its called.
The other type is a Radial circuit which is what you have.

It's the only socket on the circuit, yes, won't be adding others either.
I won't be covering with insulation, all the cables will run in top of the insulation.
Ok. All good then.

What about lighting circuits, ideally all the cables will run on top of insulation, but as these are lower powered can they run under in places? I've fitted downlight covers over all the light fittings up here.
Yes, lighting circuits have much larger cable than necessary for a 6A circuit.

Incidentally, 4mm² has seven-stranded wires for the L and N, 2.5mm² has only single-stranded. Both have a single-strand Earth wire.

Sponsored Links
Radial circuit, that's it. Ok, I'll leave it as it is.

Yes, the cable has 7 stranded wires in live & neutral and a single in earth. Also, it has "4mm" stamped on the outer sheath, which I guess is a bit of a giveaway

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Topic hijack .. but I have some cables in the loft running under insulation. Should I box these in, or put half pipe over or something?

As said, lighting circuits likely fine.

There are a multitude of variables for other circuits.

If the cable is just lying on the plasterboard, then a rough guide is -
under <100mm. of insulation, the cable current capacity is derated by (very roughly) 25% and
under >100mm. of insulation, the cable current capacity is derated by (very roughly) 40%.

is this a fire / failure risk, or just a performance issue that is normally not a problem?

Just laying some insulation in my loft. There's a double plug socket up here, I had a look and it's connected directly to the consumer unit to a 32a rcd via a 4mm cable

Sounds like this might be an old electric shower radial that somebody pulled back into the loft & terminated into a socket outlet "just in case".....

Sounds like this might be an old electric shower radial that somebody pulled back into the loft & terminated into a socket outlet "just in case".....

I checked the consumer unit, you are correct, it's labelled as "en suite shower".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back