Is this permitted development?

That makes sense. Do you think I should just go for full planning then? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well spotted Freddie. I didn't notice the garage was stepped back at the rear of the bungalow. Not PD then. Stupid rule that one.

It is a strange rule! But rules are rules. If the garage was in line then I’d be able to build right across under PD? Could I knock the back of the garage down and rebuild as part of the extension? I’m guessing it doesn’t work like that? And that the easiest way would be to submit for full planning?

You can see if they enforce or not. Otherwise you can apply and see, would it conform to local planning policies?

Sponsored Links

Quick question on how to interpret this diagram above, from the technical guidance document:

- Is this one house, with the dividing line down the centre just signifying the "centre" of the house?

or

- Are these two distinct houses, with the dividing line down the centre signifying a boundary/party wall between two neighbouring houses?

It’s not very clear but it does say somewhere that it’s a pair of semis and the dividing line is the middle of the 2 properties.

thankfully today the enforcement officer said that mine is under PD and that we can carry on! I asked him about having a certificate of lawfulness if I came to sell it in future and he said I won’t need one as it’s PM.

Your planning officer is wrong. Assuming the garage is original, and extends beyond the rear wall of the bungalow, you would be extending beyond an original side wall. As the total width of the extension would then be more than one-half the width of the house, it would not be P.D, as FMT explained.

thankfully today the enforcement officer said that mine is under PD and that we can carry on!

I also think he is technically wrong, but maybe is taking some sort of pragmatic approach. Either way, if it's just a verbal OK I would be inclined to make a record. Rather than ask BC to confirm back in writing (which might open the can of worms), you could just send an email to the BC dept as a record of the meeting "Further to our conversation today, I confirm that you advised that my proposal as attached (send a plan) is PD and I will be proceeding on that basis" - puts it on record without requiring a response.

Well BC have nothing to do with it but he could write to planning but you're right that there's a potential Pandora's box there.

Last edited:
I also think he is technically wrong, but maybe is taking some sort of pragmatic approach. Either way, if it's just a verbal OK I would be inclined to make a record. Rather than ask BC to confirm back in writing (which might open the can of worms), you could just send an email to the BC dept as a record of the meeting "Further to our conversation today, I confirm that you advised that my proposal as attached (send a plan) is PD and I will be proceeding on that basis" - puts it on record without requiring a response.
The only thing that matters, would be a formal CLD. Just because a planner says something or writes something would not make something that is not PD, PD.

Well he won't get one of those unless the whole department are thick! :sneaky:

And someone correct me if I'm wrong but I vaguely remember there being an appeal whereby a planner did say something was PD via an email
(when it wasn't) and after some further events it eventually came to an appeal whereby the applicant was successful and it was held that the planners email did constitute an official opinion. Or something like that. :whistle:

Well he won't get one of those unless the whole department are thick! :sneaky:

And someone correct me if I'm wrong but I vaguely remember there being an appeal whereby a planner did say something was PD via an email
(when it wasn't) and after some further events it eventually came to an appeal whereby the applicant was successful and it was held that the planners email did constitute an official opinion. Or something like that. :whistle:
If there was such an appeal and such an outcome, that does not mean that the circumstances of that appeal apply to every single planner's opinion or email for ever more.

BTW, a planner saying something is PD does not make it PD. At best it may prevent enforcement, but our won't change the national PD rules.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back