Is this pipework ok?

You don’t seem to trust my advice :confused: I appreciate that's up to you but I only do quality refurbishment work on bath/shower rooms & am also a plasterer; I do everything that's required (except the electrics) - plastering, tiling, plumbing, fitting out. I've no idea if your builder is charging quality prices but what he's doing isn’t quality & it needn't cost much if any extra, it's usually just a question of using the correct materials & doing it properly; the tiling subby is probably your builders mate! :rolleyes:

Richard - you misunderstand me, I'm not mistrusting you at all, all my questions have been followups (at least I thought they were). Apologies if you think otherwise - you're advice is invaluable.

I'm just trying to figure what to do, as cancelling my loft build when it's 85% done is a pretty major decision, I think you'd agree, and has all sorts of implications! Plus, this wasn't a top price quote so I'm trying to figure out what's going to be 'good enough', and reasonable to expect these guys to do for the money.

I want to get this job done, so sounds like I should just get the plasterboard/floor tanked properly, only get the untiled section of the walls plastered (it's half tiled away from the shower - does that to-be-painted wall need to be tanked as well, or will water resistant paint be sufficient), and let the tiler do the tiling onto the plasterboard.

Once again, thanks for all your advice.

Sponsored Links
Richard - you misunderstand me, I'm not mistrusting you at all, all my questions have been followups (at least I thought they were). Apologies if you think otherwise - you're advice is invaluable.
Sorry that was probably uncalled for. It’s just that there seems to be so many folks around including “tradesmen” (& I use the term loosely) who don’t seem to be able to select the correct materials for the job or understand how to use them. The same problems seem to come up over & again & sometimes it’s a bit like bashing your head against the wall; sorry I just get a little impatient sometimes. :rolleyes:

I'm just trying to figure what to do, as cancelling my loft build when it's 85% done is a pretty major decision, I think you'd agree, and has all sorts of implications! Plus, this wasn't a top price quote so I'm trying to figure out what's going to be 'good enough', and reasonable to expect these guys to do for the money.
Cancelling might be a bit drastic when you’re so far down the line unless there are other things that you’re not happy with. You tend to get what you pay for but I would not be happy with what he’s doing with your shower room as he’s making some very basic mistakes. They could be corrected now without much effort before it’s too late; not plastering over tile areas will save some cash (& help your tiles stay on the wall) & using waterproof tile backer boards instead of PB over the ply in wet areas would go a long way to making it better job; but I don’t like the look of the plumbing at all or the fact it’s directly under the tiles. The problem is that he’s unlikely to listen if you go at him with advice you’ve got from some bloke on an internet Forum who he’s never met before & the best approach might be to present him with the evidence I’ve linked yourself. I will only ever use the best materials because I see my work at the top end of what’s available, you’ve got to decide “what’s good enough” but I fear it may not last as long as you expect.

I want to get this job done, so sounds like I should just get the plasterboard/floor tanked properly, only get the untiled section of the walls plastered (it's half tiled away from the shower - does that to-be-painted wall need to be tanked as well, or will water resistant paint be sufficient), and let the tiler do the tiling onto the plasterboard.
You don’t need to tank the floor unless it’s a wet room, is it? You don’t need to tank the PB outside wet areas either. It should be MR PB in bathrooms but if standard wallboard has already been fitted it’s not going to be the end of the world; it’s the wet areas that are critical. I mark out any untilled areas & plaster these first, wasting the plaster just into the tiled area so once the tiles are laid it looks the finished job. Do check out that tiler before you let him loose on it though. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back