Is this possible ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a " lean to " conservatory manufactured by Ultraframe. It has had a couple of holes in the roof, which is I understand polycarbonate, which I have successfully repaired using weather proof tape.
My question is, would it be feezable to cover all the roof with either felt, rubber or plastic tiles attached by adhesive ?

If anyone could comment, I would be very grateful.

Thank you.
Kojak401

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply, however I am not wanting to replace any windows, I am just wanting to know if I can cover the whole roof with plastic, rubber or felt tiles attached by adhesive to the existing polycarbonate roof ?

Cheers
Kojak401

Sponsored Links
wouldnt do it myself but the only problem i could forsee is the weight, and you would see the profile of the glazing frame unless you take out the glazing caps

I think this might frustrate in not being a "yeah, great idea, do it! " type of answer, but what considerations have you made in having formulated this plan? That a few have asked why or suggested alternatives shows I think that more info from your end would get a better response. Is light blocking as well as hope of low maintenance a goal?

Hi, thank you to all who have replied to my question.
The reason I have thought about covering the entire roof (approx. 16ft x 12ft ) with possibly felt tiles, or anything which is of light weight, is purely financial.
The polycarbonate roof is 14yrs old and is showing its age, I am being quoted figures of £12 -16 thousand to replace it. This is out of my league being retired ( 70yrs old ) and on a small pension, what bit of capital I have is making b----r all as we all are aware.
My proposed solution has got to be something light that can be fixed by adhesive, as I believe that I cannot use nails or screws on the polycarbonate. If I can increase the life of the roof by 10 - 15yrs that would be great, as it would possibly see me out !!!!
I hope this additional info will help in generating some further responses, hopefully favorable but any realistic advice will be appreciated.

Thank you all,

Kojak401.

Puts me in the picture! Thanks for the background.

I have done a number of DIY jobs like this, but not with roofing. My guess- (wait for a person to says they are not guessing) would be that providing

1. The flashing part where roof joins a wall is done well (is any needed?-again pics are really useful)

then

2.providing the fixing is sound - not sure here about new material bonding to old

then

3. the pitch is correct for the new roofing (tiles require different pitch to continuous stuff like polycarbonate)

then

4. Getting someone with general skills to clamber about, after thouroughly researching 1,2, and 3, and then do a job that no-one could feasibly put a guarantee to, given that it is so unorthodox an approach.

I have struggled in the past to get trades to do something like the above as they want to stay in their comfort zone and of course not get dragged into court for a 'crazy bodge' that failed.

If you can do all the above yourself and get pics and update us all, it would be great! :D

if you are confident enough to try those options, then buy the poly and fit it yourself. You can get 25mm poly <£40 sq m, cut to size supply only and swap it yourself

Sorry for not replying sooner but I have been away for a few days.
Thank you for all help, I am going to look into the last suggestion, which I think would probably be the best.
I will not be taking any action until August/Sept. but will get back on here and let you know how I have got on.

Thank you to everyone,

Kojak401.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back