is this quote fair? installing new oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about replacing the floor in my 20m2 living room. The existing floor is pine (laid on top of original floor), which I'm considering replacing with oak. The sound transmission between my flat and the downstairs flat is quite bad, so I'm also looking into some sound insulation.
I have been quoted £3000 (inc VAT) for:
- lifting and removing existing pine floor (but leaving the original floor intact)
- installing acoustic membrane on top of original floor
- installing 9mm plywood sheet on top of this
- resizing skirting and door as necessary
- installing new oak floor on top of plywood subfloor

The cost does not include the new floor planks, which I need to source myself.
Is it a reasonable quote? I am in London, still it seems rather expensive.

Alternatively they have quoted £1600 to sand, repair and re-stain the existing pine floor. However this would not improve the sound transmission problem. (and also as the floor is pine, will probably look very scratched again in a few years).

thanks for any advice you can give!

Sponsored Links
Tight fitting carpet and underlayment would help but residential floor acoustics are a minefield of failed attempts to prevent sound transmission.
No way would i allow the floor to be lifted unless a massive guarantee (for what any guarantee is worth?) was in place that the method and the material would work.

Nothing wrong with a pine polished floor - the quality of a sanded floor lies in the finishing.

It wouldn't be lifting the original floor, it is a pine floor that's been laid on top. There's nothing wrong with this pine floor (that some sanding and staining wouldn't sort to some degree, although this would not sort the sound transmission problems), but I much prefer the look (and the increased hardness) of oak. Still undecided.

Sponsored Links
As has been said, ultimately carpet will be far quieter, any wood floor, with insulation or not will be a lot noisier,Without knowing material costs, £150m2 sounds a little pricey.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back