Is this right for domestic oven supply?

it's possible that they say, for example, that each oven should be protected by a 13A fuse (in plug) or 16A MCB. milbo1990: what do the instructions say?
Have you any examples where the manufacturer's instructions state that the appliance: ... must be protected by a 16A MCB rather than must have a 16A supply (Europe) .... ?
I was pretty sure that we had an example posted here fairly recently, but I can't currently find it. Watch this space!
I still can't find that thread, but it seems that the instructions for many Bosch ovens include the rather confusing statement:
UK and Australia only
Connect using at least a 16 A plug or protect with a 16 A fuse.
Given that, in the UK, we do not (domestically) usually have "at least 16A plugs", that 'or' seem to reduce to a requirement to protect with a 16A 'fuse', doesn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The first Bosch oven I found states:

Installation
Requires 13 Amp Power Supply..................................No
Requires Electrically Trained Engineer To Hardwire........Yes - May Not Be Supplied With Cable
Electrical Connection.................................................2.9 KW
Fuse Rating.............................................................16 amps
Fuel Type................................................................Electric

which doesn't really make sense, does it?

I will maintain the fuse size actually and will depend on the cable.
Even then overload omission may allow something else.

The first Bosch oven I found states: Fuse Rating.............................................................16 amps
... which seems pretty consistent with the Bosch instructions that I just quoted.
which doesn't really make sense, does it? ... I will maintain the fuse size actually and will depend on the cable.
Even then overload omission may allow something else.
Well, the cable will obviously impose a maximum on the fuse rating. However, as often discussed, if (even though they shouldn't) the manufacturers are relying on external OPDs to protect the innards of their appliance, then they might indicate a required OPD rating (16A in this case) which could, in some cases, be a lot lower than would be permissible in terms of the (circuit) cable alone.

Kind Regards, John

However, as often discussed, if (even though they shouldn't) the manufacturers are relying on external OPDs to protect the innards of their appliance, then they might indicate a required OPD rating (16A in this case) which could, in some cases, be a lot lower than would be permissible in terms of the (circuit) cable alone.
That is what I disagree with.

The innards of bigger appliances are the same as the smaller ones with just more of them so this cannot be the case.

Plus, of course, they cannot cause an overload.

Sponsored Links
However, as often discussed, if (even though they shouldn't) the manufacturers are relying on external OPDs to protect the innards of their appliance, then they might indicate a required OPD rating (16A in this case) which could, in some cases, be a lot lower than would be permissible in terms of the (circuit) cable alone.
That is what I disagree with. The innards of bigger appliances are the same as the smaller ones with just more of them so this cannot be the case. .
I think that many/most of us probably disagree with it, but, even with relaxed regs, I'm sure that there will still be some, perhaps many, who feel that they 'must' comply with MIs (or, at least, feel that their backsides are more 'covered' if they do comply), no matter what those MIs say.
Plus, of course, they cannot cause an overload.
Probably not a significant one, but I suppose that a jammed fan of a fan oven, or of the motor of any 'spit mechanism' etc., or even perhaps electronics, might have the capability to result in some degree of overload - and (although I realise that's not what we're talking about here) goodness knows in the case of an induction hob.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back