Is this water on underside of roof tiles something to worry about?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently been getting damp patches on my bedroom ceiling. Went into the loft to have a look. Roof is just clay tiles on top of wooden structure, many decades old.

One tile is completely cracked, near where the water patches are, so this clearly needs replacing.

But going up there in the recent rainstorms, i saw the underside of a few other tiles is damp in places (see image).

Is this something to be concerned about... and how concerned??

Cheers!
Rob

Attachments

• 20200216_104515.jpg
    20200216_104515.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 324
  • 20200216_104643.jpg
    20200216_104643.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 322
Sponsored Links
all cracked and suspect tiles should be replaced - in your case it might be difficult to source the exact replacements.
anyone going on that old roof (its pre-war) must use a roof ladder. all the tiles will be fragile.
once the roofer is satisfied with all replacements then, while still on the roof, he must water test with a hose while you or someone else observes in the loft.

Yes, looks like a crack on the interlock/runner. If you can't get a new tile, you can overlay it with some lead or flashband.

Thanks guys. Paid a roofer for their long ladder and lack of fear of heights to replace the cracked one with one from my pile in the garden.

Good thing for the pile and a previous owners foresight, them tiles stopped being made 30 years ago!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back