is underfloor heating really worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are having a bathroom fitted in our house and the room currently just has floor boards.

is it really worth installing underfloor heating? for the cost of installing and running all im going to get is slightly warm tiles right?

however, id hate to not bother and then regret it. perhaps we might as well put it in seeing as we have a blank canvas to work with?

is it an over-rated product or shall i go for it? (we will have a rad fitted)

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello Tan8856.
Along with 'warm up' times, general performance, installation and efficiency I would go with a 'wet system' if any, if possible, every time.
Just my opinion though.
;)
Ed

Having fit a two or three over the years I can honestly say I wouldn't have one given me.

EC listed the major reasons above.

Hello Tan8856.
Along with 'warm up' times, general performance, installation and efficiency I would go with a 'wet system' if any, if possible, every time.
Just my opinion though.
;)
Ed

By 'wet system' do you mean a radiator? or piped undefloor heating?

Sponsored Links
Hello Tan8856.
Just my opinion though.
;)
Ed

By 'wet system' do you mean a radiator? or piped undefloor heating?

He means the latter.
They're much more effective though the initial outlay is costly and installation more complex.

I'm fitting a wet underfloor heating system into our new extension. But I'm excluding bathroom areas because the heating effect of the comparatively small useful floor area is not sufficient. It is usually recommended that the heating in these rooms is supplemented or replaced with radiators, or in my case towel rails. I don't see how this is likely to be different for electric UFH, as the limitation is floor temperature.

If you read past postings on this forum about electric underfloor heating that has stopped working, and the consequences, you probably wouldn't consider it anyway.

I'm going to have to go against the grain and recommend it. A wet system is the best option where possible, but it means a significant increase in floor height. An electric system is better than none, and is very welcoming in the morning when stepping into the bathroom, with the added advantage of drying the floor VERY quickly after getting out of the shower. As long as it's on a timer and set to come on an hour or so before you get up, warmup times aren't really a worry.

I wouldn't, however, recommend an electric system as the main source of heat for a room. You want a radiator to keep your towers dry, anyway.

A wet system is the best option where possible, but it means a significant increase in floor height.

I'd take issue with that - it may do if you put it on top of the existing floor - but usually you'd put it underneath. The downside is that the final floor covering needs not to be a good thermal insulator. Ceramic tiles are good but I wouldn't use them on an upstairs floor (unless it was concrete).

Fitted one in mother's wet room to dry floor as she only has one leg. What a waist of time. Any hotter it would burn your feet when floor is dry yet without towel rail is not enough to heat room.
As soon as wet it cools down quickly and it takes 20 minutes to re-heat enough to dry floor by which time my mother is out of room.
The sensor for thermostat went within 3 months of fitting and main thermostat within 6 months of fitting.
Now not used.

Had electric underfloor mats in my kitchen for quite a while now, they work perfectly - if you let them work the way they are supposed to work, in other words on all the time and regulating themselves... mine is on all year round at 18degC, spring summer and autumn it never comes on but in the winter you start hearing it click on and off but the floor is never more than tepid and the heating only comes on at maybe 10-20% power for fairly short bursts.

I doubt I'd want it as a primary heat source in a living area but in a room you dont need to be hot it works very well.

I have a small bathroom upstairs that was totally updated 2 years ago and had electric underfloor heating put in (in addition to a normal towel radiator).

Have stone tiles and its the best thing i have ever had installed, its nice and warm undefoot in winter and drys the floor a treat giving my toddler his bath after he has splashed 50% out onto the floor!

Yes it takes a while to warm up - thats why god invented timers and thermostats. its only on for an hour before the morning bathroom rush and hour before evening toddler bath, and it stays nice and warm after its switched off.

Buy a decent make and install it properly with decent thermal board underneath, and yes i used a part p leccy.

Some people will moan about anything, telling you a wooden floor is not cold, but it aint warm either at 5am on a december morning, and is not exactly as attractive IMHO.

a wooden floor is not cold, but it aint warm either at 5am on a december morning
41fxX%2BYmu7L._SL500_SX182_SH35_.jpg

and is not exactly as attractive IMHO.
You did realise that I meant what I said? i.e. "wood", not "laminate"?

Yes i know the difference between wood and laminate, thanks for checking. Thats a class pair of slippers, but you try and make a 14month old wear a pair!

There was a time when people would put on extra sweaters in winter when the house got cold, now we have central heating. People used to have to wear slippers because of cold floors in bathrooms and kitchens, now you can have those floors warmed. Just because its different does not make it wrong BAS.

There was a time when people would put on extra sweaters in winter when the house got cold, now we have central heating.
One of the consequences of the energy crisis is that we will shortly be going back to 1950s habits, in order to survive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back