ISAR water pump noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

Seems another problem with IDEAL ISAR boiler. This time it is noise from the circulating pump. When CH water is circulating and pump operates I can hear grinding or knocking noise from the pump. It seems like something is stuck or hitting the propeler inside the pump. I have seen posts here on simmilar issue and advice given is to take pump head out and inspect.

The problem I have is that draining and isolating boiler is not simple as the valves under boiler are stuck, last time I used those I almost broke off the valve. I risk creating another leak.

Is there anyhting elese that can be done first ? how to change pump speed I cant see speed seeting switch on the pump?

Or is the best option to drain the whole system ?

Perhaps add chemicals to disolve the blockage?

Second problem is that water pressure rises high with CH water temperature . It seems like air expansion cylinder does not work either.

ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You can close all rad valves and keep the water inside. Then drain rest of system to include boiler.

Then you can remove the pump head. Probably faulty so you can replace it.

You seem to ask questions about a lot of different boilers, Ideal, Potterton, GlowWorm etc.

I am very surprised that there are so many British boilers in Bosnia.

Or could it be that you are not really living in Bosnia at all?

Tony

You can close all rad valves and keep the water inside. Then drain rest of system to include boiler.

Then you can remove the pump head. Probably faulty so you can replace it.

You seem to ask questions about a lot of different boilers, Ideal, Potterton, GlowWorm etc.

I am very surprised that there are so many British boilers in Bosnia.

Or could it be that you are not really living in Bosnia at all?

Tony

Thanks for response

How would I determine if pump head is faulty ? It seems to work in as much as it does circulate water arround the system and it moves. I can try to find new head for IDEAL , all the effort to remove it might be worh to replace head as you say.

Do I need new gasket when replasing head ? (unless it comes in the box )

I have asked , over the years, several questions, moved about a bit, mainly UK as you say. I had loads of problems few years back with Puma boiler, then glowworm, then Ideal ( in couple of houses )

Probably first you are noticed country as I just picked one, based in UK actually.

The pump gaskets often come with a new pump.

They can normally be reused anyway without any problem.

You may see why its noisy or you may not be able to see anything.

Might as well change it as its probably faulty but its up to you.

Or you could just ignore the noise while its still working.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi

Found some time to deal with this. Boiler still working but pump makes noise so I plan to replace. I did some research on what pump I need.

My ISAR HE30 has serial number starting with WN prefix so according to Ideal it should need pump head part No 170990. I have checked and pump in boiler is marked "system Wilo "

Can someome advise if pump marked " IDEAL MP63H 171868 " could be used to replace Wilo pump head 170990 ?

I believe that some heads are interchangable but not sure for this.

If this one will not fit does anyone know Wilo part No that can be used to replace Ideal 1770990 as plumbecenter price for 170990 is £122. There are lower prices on ebay but I prefer to get this from real merchant but this seems expensive.

the new pump head doesn't fit the old wilo one, you would have to change the whole pump assembly, whcih could take a few hours if never done before.
Have a look around fleabay, you might find a wilo pump head for the isar on there.

the new pump head doesn't fit the old wilo one, you would have to change the whole pump assembly, whcih could take a few hours if never done before.
Have a look around fleabay, you might find a wilo pump head for the isar on there.

Thanks for advice I will try to find Wilo pump head. I can see many pumps on ebay but i never purchased spares on ebay before so this is perhaps first time !

Is there any other part that is worth changing or inspecting while I have bolier drained ?

I have now changed circulation pump and all is working fine.

Whilst boiler was drained i have noticed that braided pipe connecting expansion tank , is full of small black particles. It is likely to be blocked but not sure as the other end of the pipe is behind boiler so cant be removed.

Is there any trick to unblock this pipe ?

how much would water pressure oscilate under normal operation with unblocked pipe. ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back