Isolating a single downlighter onto its own circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a circuit of 5 downlighters in the bathroom and i want to isolate one of the lights to run on its own with a new switch so that when the Mrs gets up at stupid o'clock in the morning to go to work as a Postie (amendment - sometimes go to work...), she doesn't blind herself with the full 250watts.

Can I just remove the connector block from the light (in photo) as this will keep the circuit connected for the other 4 lights and then run a new wire from the light to the junction box?

If so do I just need to copy the positions of the wiring of the existing circuit to create a new circuit on the same junction box?

click on the photo to enlarge.

Just to note I will have a new pull cord (switch) too.

Sponsored Links
You can remove the light from the circuit, then take a feed from the live, neutral and earth to a new switch then back up to the light.
The earths looks a bit messy, should really be yellow and green PVC sleeving on them and terminated correctly, rather than twisted together, if the fitting has an earth terminal use that, if not get a plastic connection block.

That is an absolute abortion. You need that sorted out by a professional asap. Your joists could slowly burn with a halogen lamp that close. Also some earths don't look like they are connected at the junction box which leads me to believe that some of the system is unearthed - possibly where it is needed most ie metallic fittings

I agree that your wiring looks very suspect.

One thing you might consider is a wireless lighting controller. You could use a 2 channel controller one for one light and one for the rest. The main advantage is that the switch is battery powered and so you can put a 2 gang switch plate on the bathroom wall.

www.sensormech.com

Do a suitable controller

Sponsored Links
You can remove the light from the circuit, then take a feed from the live, neutral and earth to a new switch then back up to the light.
The earths looks a bit messy, should really be yellow and green PVC sleeving on them and terminated correctly, rather than twisted together, if the fitting has an earth terminal use that, if not get a plastic connection block.

That all sounds easy enough. a bit like taking a spur from a plug socket...

Hang on a sec though wouldn't the single light only work when the other circuit was switched on if I took the live from the other circuit?

wouldn't the single light only work when the other circuit was switched on if I took the live from the other circuit?

Leave the neutrals as they are to all lamps.

Take live to the new switch, take the switched live from that switch to the lamp you want to come on by itself.

Then a choice, feed the existing switch with either [1] live or [2] the switched live from the new switch.

To have all lamps on both switches must be on.

option [1] means you can have one, four or all five lamps on

option [2] means one lamp or all five on.

BUT FIRST SORT OUT THAT DANGEROUS MESS IN THE JUNCTION BOX using one junction box per light so there only at most four cable per box, loop in, loop onward, lamp and switch. Sleeve earth wires and connect.

That mess where the light is needs attention as well - the connections should be in an enclosure, and all that insulation nearby will just ensure all of the heat goes onto those PVC wires directly above the lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back