Isolating Bathroom Electric Shower Supply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for what may be the one millionth post on this,..

Im redoing my bathroom and am intending to replace my current electric shower with a standard mixer shower.

I can see the power supply to the shower is being fed through the ceiling above, and though i havent been able to clamber through the attic recently, I am certain i could isolate and remove the wiring myself. (I'm certainly no braniac, but I feel adept and have worked on my house wiring before, installing some cabling and downlighters, as well as replacing various switches and power sockets).

However, one of my work collegues suggested DIY electrical work in the bathroom might not be legal, and suggested it might be more a job for a qualified electrician.

It seems such a silly , fairly small job, that i really wouldnt mind doing myself. Especially since im not actually installing any new electrical appliance,.. just removing / isolating the wiring.

Where do I stand legally?

Any proper advice will be sagely appreciated!

Sponsored Links
However if you were to remove the wiring utterly, all the way back to the board, and the fuse carrier etc., then there'd be nothing for anyone to tell it was ever there - not strictly legal, but I can't see the removal of a circuit being a future problem (unless some poor sap wants to fit an electric shower...)

It seems such a silly , fairly small job, that i really wouldnt mind doing myself.

The important aspect is to isolate the old shower circuit from the consumer unit so the wiring cannot be re - energised.

i.e. disconnect within CU and remove cabling from it.

Have you ever worked on a CU before?

DO you feel confident in removing the cover from the CU?

Even with the main switch in the off position there will be live parts within that could catch you unawares.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks all - i think for the fact that the wikkipedia article doesnt exactly state 'removal of wiring' (compared to installation or exchange of wiring) I may well be taking this on myself.

Fortunately the CU is labelled, (wouldnt have been a prob finding the right circuit anyway) so should be pretty straight forward.

Thanks for your comments all!

Where do I stand legally?

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law[/QUOTE]

I've just read that article and it can be disregarded with respect to 'the law'. It has not been written by a legal professional and any reference to 'the law' must be treated as subjective and in the opinion of the author(s). A suitable disclaimer should be attached.

The title is very misleading.

A legal professional may offer an opinion as regards the law, but the law it ultimately determined in a Court of Law.

The comment about BS7671 being non-statutory is both incorrect and misleading. The subsequent comments in this section should be re-written or removed as they are basically legal gobble-de-gooke, subjective and in the opinion of the author.

Oh god, not again! Look at 110-04-01 of BS7671 (16th) - "The regulations are non-statutory regulations".

Oh god, not again! Look at 110-04-01 of BS7671 (16th) - "The regulations are non-statutory regulations".

I'd THINK very carefully about what you are implying before shooting your mouth off.

Also, perhaps you could post the WHOLE regulation for starters before the debate moves on.

(EDIT: I would be interested to know whether the DIYNOT disclaimer extends to the explicit legal advice it allows on its site)

I've just read that article and it can be disregarded with respect to 'the law'.
You may choose to disregard it.

Others may choose otherwise - it's a free country.

It has not been written by a legal professional and any reference to 'the law' must be treated as subjective and in the opinion of the author(s). A suitable disclaimer should be attached.
Then I suggest you take that up with DIYnot admin.

The title is very misleading.
No it isn't.

A legal professional may offer an opinion as regards the law, but the law it ultimately determined in a Court of Law.
Anybody can offer an opinion - it's a free country in that respect too.

The comment about BS7671 being non-statutory is both incorrect and misleading.
It is neither.

The subsequent comments in this section should be re-written or removed as they are basically legal gobble-de-gooke, subjective and in the opinion of the author.
Then I suggest you take that up with DIYnot admin. OOI, what advice would you like to see given to DIYers concerning their obligations under the Building Regulations?

I'd THINK very carefully about what you are implying before shooting your mouth off.
Is he implying anything? Is he shooting his mouth off?

Or is he just stating a simple fact?

Also, perhaps you could post the WHOLE regulation for starters before the debate moves on.
Why don't you?

I'd be particularly interested in reading where it contradicts the part about them being non-statutory....

I'll ignore the tedious drivel...

Exactly what do you mean by Statutory?

You need to ask the IEE what they mean by the use of the word statutory in the context which they wrote it in.

No I don't. I understand the IEE position perfectly well. It's the mumbo jumbo in BAS's little legal piece that is..well...mumbo jumbo.

I'll ignore the tedious drivel...
You just can't help but be insulting, can you...

Are you also going to ignore the question about what advice you'd like to see given to DIYers, given that you're so dissatisfied with the current material?

Exactly what do you mean by Statutory?
Primary legislation - a formal, written law enacted by Parliament, or secondary legislation, e.g. a Statutory Instrument made by a Minister of the Crown.

The advice I would like to see given to DIYers is not a rambling, mish mash of poorly worded, meaningless legal mumbo jumbo spouted by someone outside of the legal profession.

As you have your dictionary out - would you care to expand on your defintion by considering a Statutory document which makes an explicit reference to a 'Non Statutory' document and how that may or may not change the explicit reference in the non statutory document in terms of it being considered statutory or non statutory?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back