Isolator Switch Question

For a PME supply, in order to prevent perceived electric shock and to eliminate circulating network currents due to class A2c network faults and to reduce the likelihood of circulating network neutral to earth transients triggering mycardial infarction, an earth rod for an installation Ze of 0.1ohms or less should be no less than 2450mm in length and 25mm in diameter; for Ze greater than 0.1ohms but less than 0.35ohms, an earth rod should not be less than 2750mm in length and 30mm in diameter. Both should be driven into virgin soil at least 150mm below ground level. Earthing plates, tapes, pipes etc. should have the same characterists of the earth rods mentioned but should not extend past ground material of substantially different material e.g. clay to gravel.

Sponsored Links
As it caused confusion for some reason, I shall repeat.
There was no confusion.

Should I state that the NICEIC is an authority on a particular issue, I will make it clear that it is so. Panyatna?

Does that make it clear?
It makes it clear (although it already was clear) that you think there might be an occasion when you consider that the NICEIC will be an authority on a particular issue, and I'm glad that you feel free to state whatever you like, but it won't change the fact that the NICEIC, as things stand, is not an approval authority on any domestic wiring issue.

And since when is a paddling pool a hot tub? Or a hot tub a paddling pool?
If you consider a hot tub to be outside the context of section 602, then it simply means that your interpretation of the intention of that section is different to mine. I have no problem with that.

I'm glad there is no longer confusion on what was a simple sentence.

The NICEIC would be an authority on one of their internal matters e.g. membership, would they not? And this might be particularly relevant should someone post a question relating to a problem, concern, other issue regarding some work done by an NICEIC contractor. They might for example, ask why such an electrician installed their hot tub in accordance with the requirments of Section 602 and not 601.

For a PME supply, in order to prevent perceived electric shock and to eliminate circulating network currents due to class A2c network faults and to reduce the likelihood of circulating network neutral to earth transients triggering mycardial infarction...
Did you mean myocardial, or are you having a heart attack? :D

In any case, direct contact with LV AC tends to lead to fibrillation, not M.C. :rolleyes:

...an earth rod for an installation Ze of 0.1ohms or less should be no less than 2450mm in length and 25mm in diameter; for Ze greater than 0.1ohms but less than 0.35ohms, an earth rod should not be less than 2750mm in length and 30mm in diameter. Both should be driven into virgin soil at least 150mm below ground level. Earthing plates, tapes, pipes etc. should have the same characterists of the earth rods mentioned but should not extend past ground material of substantially different material e.g. clay to gravel.
I'm sure you mean to be helpful, but it will be interesting to see if the OP makes sense of that little lot.

Sponsored Links
Softus, READ the relevant documentation and quote from it if you have it. I just have and still you pick faults...

Oops, a typo...eezvineetya...

I'm glad there is no longer confusion on what was a simple sentence.
I'm not aware of anyone ever being confused about it.

The NICEIC would be an authority on one of their internal matters e.g. membership, would they not?
Who cares?

And this might be particularly relevant should someone post a question relating to a problem, concern, other issue regarding some work done by an NICEIC contractor. They might for example, ask why such an electrician installed their hot tub in accordance with the requirments of Section 602 and not 601.
Certainly; the NICEIC staff might stop painting their fingernails and ask that question, but I can't think of anyone who'd be motivated to answer it.

Correction:

the wordings are 'Cardiac Arrest'...and... ventricular fibrillation...

Who cares? Well, a client would care.

You were confused by it, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten egg on your cheek by trying to make something of it. :rolleyes:

And you were sufficiently confused to think a hot tub was a sauna so it's an easy mistake to make. :rolleyes:

Who cares? Well, a client would care.
If you have clients who care what the NICEIC says, then I'm very pleased for you. I don't.

You were confused by it, otherwise you wouldn't have gotten egg on your cheek by trying to make something of it. :rolleyes:
I'm not trying to make something of your belief than the NICEIC is relevant, I'm merely demonstrating my lack of interest in it - you seem to be misinterpreting that as confusion. By all means go ahead and continue believing in that relevance, if that's what pleases you, but please don't think that I care about what you believe. The NICEIC is no more than a club, and it isn't the only one.

And you were sufficiently confused to think a hot tub was a sauna so it's an easy mistake to make. :rolleyes:
I typed a "3" instead of "2", because I pressed the wrong key, but it was abundantly clear (if you read 602 and 603) that I was writing about 602, because of the zone B & C limits.

Abundantly clear? From most of the stuff you post, it came as no surprise to me at all :D

Your surprise, or lack of it, has no relevance to this topic. Or to anything else.

Anyway, early start tomorrow...been fun tonight..not least to see how easy it is to baffle with a bit of bull regarding earth rods and alluding to techy stuff not in the Regs and the OSG...

put's a marker in the sand, doesn't it? :D

Night night....

(cue all the 'I knew but I didn't care' comments......)

Well... regardless of who/what the NICEIC are etc etc, I'm just interested in installing electrics that done correctly, and more importantly... operate safely.

Thanks again to those who have helped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back