When to use SWA and when not to use it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a need to install a 32A supply to the garden for Hot Tub.

It a fairly long run of about 40m or so involving leaving the CU going up an external wall, across the loft, down an external wall to a weatherproof Mini CU. From the Mini CU I would then like to run to an Isolator switch and then to the Hot Tub.

My question is:- Since the only part of the circuit that is below ground is after the Mini CU - do I need to run SWA to the Mini CU or can I use normal cable up to that point?

Thanks...
Maurice

Sponsored Links
Although I'd say you're fine just using the swa for the run from the cu to the isolator (assuming you can't see any circumstances where it is likely to be bashed about), I'd consider putting the t&e in plastic conduit. Propper job. Will also stop damage to the cable from the sun in the long run.

If you run all the outside cable in 20mm conduit then you will have a better job, but just doing the underground section in SWA sounds fine!

BTW This work comes under part p of the building regs, so it may be better to get a spark in to do the work for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back