Isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering fitting a mains swith (one of these)

www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/Contactum_Mains_Switch/index.html and www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=GDYVRDP0WONQMCSTHZPCFEY?id=74436&ts=83508

between the meter (new supply to garage) and CU. Due to the position of meter and CU, I would like to run the supply from the meter to the intermediate mains switch (above) into the bottom contacts and the supply to the CU out of the top contacts of this additional mains switch.

Appreciate this is probably not good practice but is it against regs.

Sponsored Links
Personally when fitting new I'd always go for the same manufacturer - so a Wylex main switch with a Wylex enclosure not Contactum with Wylex.

I'm all for having isolators between meter and CU's - always allows for safer maintenance in the future.

Your description isn't that clear to me that makes me worried that you are considering working with live tails when you do this work. Get your DNO in to do it - our hospitals are full enough already.

Personally when fitting new I'd always go for the same manufacturer - so a Wylex main switch with a Wylex enclosure not Contactum with Wylex.

I'm all for having isolators between meter and CU's - always allows for safer maintenance in the future.

Your description isn't that clear to me that makes me worried that you are considering working with live tails when you do this work. Get your DNO in to do it - our hospitals are full enough already.

No intention of working live - new supply not even in place yet - just planning where cable runs are going to go.

Question was does the supply from the meter need to go to terminals 1 and 2 with load to CU coming from termianls 3 and 4 or can you connect in reverse.

Intend to have the whole thing check before connection

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back