Isopropyl Alcohol 99%

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This should be OK to remove heavy biro ink staining from plastic items?

My son came home from school yesterday after a biro exploded in his blazer pocket, covering his calculator, a ruler and several pens.

Sponsored Links
The solvent used in ballpoint pens varies from make to make.

Some inks will soften with alcohol, some won't, WD40 followed by a good wash in soapy water ( soap not detergent ) worked on the ink from cheap pens from a Pound Shop )

Personally I wouldn't bother with the mess and effort - pens & rulers are very cheap to replace, and calculators aren't bad either.

securespark, good evening.

The chemical you intend to use may be, rightly, difficult to obtain, as I understand it it is used in the manufacture of illegal Substances?

Be careful who you ask to obtain it??

Ken

Sponsored Links
I had a biro break in my back pocket and the ink leaked all over an alcantara car seat. I seem to recall meths gets the stain out.

I had a biro break in my back pocket and the ink leaked all over an alcantara car seat. I seem to recall meths gets the stain out.
I have used meths for degreasing and removing pen marks, if you have any left over its just about acceptable with coke, ice and lemon

if you have any left over its just about acceptable with coke, ice and lemon

Uh No, it isn't. Isoproply alchol has been denatured to make it unpalatable to drink, and they've added chemical to it to help deter you. So just how much of an alcoholoc are you CB. You've got a long way down the gutter when you're desperate enough to drink meths, and it's derivatives.

I used to work for part of the Tate and Lyle group, and they had a chemical division that bought pure alchohol from ireland, and part of the job involved putting the chemicals in it to turned it into meths. The odd thing, was they also sold the pure stuff to Vladivar, who added distilled water and a coupe of other bits, and turned it into vodka. The guy in charge gave me a sample one day, and invited me to put my finger in it to test it, and my mouth tingled, and went numb. It turns out that if you can get it down your throat, then you can't get drunk until you then have a drink of water, because you're stomach can't process pure alcohol.

So you can happily add coke and ice to ethyl alchohol, but not the isopopyl stuff - unless you're seriously desperate.

Uh No, it isn't. Isoproply alchol has been denatured to make it unpalatable to drink, and they've added chemical to it to help deter you. So just how much of an alcoholoc are you CB. You've got a long way down the gutter when you're desperate enough to drink meths, and it's derivatives.

I used to work for part of the Tate and Lyle group, and they had a chemical division that bought pure alchohol from ireland, and part of the job involved putting the chemicals in it to turned it into meths. The odd thing, was they also sold the pure stuff to Vladivar, who added distilled water and a coupe of other bits, and turned it into vodka. The guy in charge gave me a sample one day, and invited me to put my finger in it to test it, and my mouth tingled, and went numb. It turns out that if you can get it down your throat, then you can't get drunk until you then have a drink of water, because you're stomach can't process pure alcohol.

So you can happily add coke and ice to ethyl alchohol, but not the isopopyl stuff - unless you're seriously desperate.
:confused: It was a quip

Fair enough; but you've got to remember the intelligence level of some of the participants here.

We use Soudal solvent cleaner and it works on most things. Have some in the house as well. Great at degreasing and stuff.
upload_2017-5-28_9-27-53.png

Which one did the trick, the removal of the pen marks, or the coke, ice and lemon bit?

:)
Sadly, I don't drink alcohol (of any sort!) anymore.

noseall:

Shucks! I have some uPVC cleaner and it didn't cross my mind to try that...:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back