Issue with Ideal Isar HE24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 12 year old Ideal Isar HE24 (i know - don't lecture me) which was installed 1 year before I moved into my house. I've had various things go wrong with it over the years, all of which have been covered with boiler care but something started happening to it a few days ago.

I heard an occasional knocking noise coming from it and discovered that it happened after switching on and off. When I switch it on it gets incredibly hot - so much so that I can't touch the casing but after 5 minutes it calms down. I get hot water and as normal and my central heating is fine and there are no error codes. The knocking noise is the metal casing contracting and cooling down.

Is it the heat exchanger? Should I be worried?

Sponsored Links
The casing should not get too hot to touch on these boilers. It could well be a problem with the heat exchanger.

You should turn the boiler off and call an engineer to have a look at it asap, (the more you run it the more chance you will damage other components in the boiler with the heat)

At 12 years old it has done well for you, and far surpassed its lifespan. I have repaced these boilers after just 5 years before! So maybe its time to look at a new boiler ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back