Issue with painted garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Got a new garage/outhouse built a couple of years ago, concrete floor - which was allowed to properly dry out before painting. Put on a couple of coats of floor paint. After a few months I noticed that I had a problem with water ingress near the door and, where this had happened, the paint had started to blister and break up. I duly stripped it back and repainted. I had some further issues with water ingress near the door and again had to re-do the paint in that area.

More recently though, like over the past year, the paint has started to flake and break up in areas that were never damp. Then I happened to leave the door open one drizzly and windy day and I noticed that where the drizzle had blown in, the paint was blistering badly. I then experimented by spraying water onto parts of the floor that I hadn't already scraped away lookse paint from - and the wet paint blisters within seconds - it's as if I'm spraying paint stripper onto it instead of water! See the YouTube video here:

Is this just a case of poor quality paint or is there something else going on? I'm going to scrape the floor right back all over to re-treat it. To be honest this blistering thing will actually make it easier to clean it back, but I 'm wary about putting something else down if it's going to go the same way. Anyone seen this issue before? The paint used was 'No Nonsense Trade Floor paint' from Screwfix.

Sponsored Links
akapaddy, good evening.

Historically, floors were painted with "Chlorinated Rubber paint" OK that was what was used back in the day.

I suppose today one of the Epoxy type paints would be acceptable to provide a hard wearing long lasting finish.

Going back to the water removing the existing pain finish on the floor? does the underside of the paint film have a very thin layer of dust / concrete surface material adhering to the paint film??

Ken

Thanks for the reply.

There’s a thin layer there of grit/dust, about what I’d expect.

Sponsored Links
akapaddy, good evening again.

One "possible" causation for the failure of the existing paint to adhere completely is that, the surface of the Concrete was not sealed prior to the application of the paint? this could??? result in the paint which may be Porous to water getting at the top unsealed surface of the Concrete and the concrete being water greedy has grabbed the water on its top surface, the result is that the paint film which was happily adhering in dry conditions to the Contretes top surface has nothing to grab on to because the Concrete has absorbed the liquid and exfoliated Tthe tiny dust and very small particles to break away from the body of the Concrete, thus allowing the paint, or causing the paint film to fail??

Just a thought?

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back