it tickles me when.............

B

breezer

some one will ask is this the right price for xyz?

how are we supposed to know what size xyz is? (assuming its a window)

how do we know the floor does not have to be leveled first (assume its now flooring)

and how do we know where you are? I know I am going to start a new market, crystal balls that tell us what you do not

you see what i am saying?

Also some will not pay / quible over price for a professional to do the job

a profesional has to pay for his time / skill etc, and if he breaks it, will pay for it (ok claim off insurance or do a deal, what ever)

but you do not see people writing "the sofa i saw in "IFM" was £900 its too much, i will build my own" do you? so why is it people (joe public) always MOAN.

I am not saying get 1st bloke you see to do job, no, DO get several quotes, ask for references

and when "shopping" for the kit to do the project with, just becasuse a shed is near, doesn't mean to say another shed is not cheaper (or better still try wholesaler)

always "shop around"

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
but you do not see people writing "the sofa i saw in "IFM" was £900 its too much, i will build my own" do you? so why is it people (joe public) always MOAN.

I dunno about a sofa, but when I went bed shopping I realised that at my end of the market it wasn't possible to buy a good-quality frame so I built my own frame and with the money I saved splashed out on a better-quality mattress.

I don't mean to brag but I have slept in beds that feel like they are about to fall apart. And I can't stand creaks every time I roll over. Mine is solid, and it looks OK too.

The reason people may whinge at paying a guy to do their electrics (for example) is that it is something that is hidden away in the walls, you don't see it and you can't point at it and say "Cost me £900 that did, bargain or what?". And apart from to people like us it isn't really that fun!

People like to spend money on "fun" things. With men it's cars and home cinemas, with women it really does tend to be settees and dining tables (and that is not stereotyping, every couple I know is that way). It is only the third sex, "Engineer", that likes the wires and pipes. :D

breezer said:
so why is it people (joe public) always MOAN.
I think it because all the TV "DIY" programme make it looks cheap and easy !

It's all about "perceived value"

If someone thinks its worth paying for, they'll pay, no matter what the price. Just like a house. It is only worth what people will pay for it. Jobs around house are usually not perceived as being worth much, on top of which, they are sometimes a grudge purchase and/or they want to spend as little as possible doing the work, then spend the rest on something that HAS got more appeal - something you CAN show off and say, "Like the new XYZ, it only cost 123 AND I paid for it out of the money we knocked off the house because it needs rewiring/new roof/etc..

Traders need to try and make the job more desirable ie it will increase value of your property, safety, convenience etc.....

It is an uphill struggle, especially when they compare it to the cost of DIY or worse, a "mate's" DIY. I have met hundreds of people over the years who will have no compunction about going into a friend's house and wreaking havoc, not knowing exactly what they're doing. And because they are ignorant (of the skills they need) they can sleep at night.....

Sponsored Links
It's true what you say about "perceived value", I had a young lady phone me last week, to fit in 3 base units and a worktop, she knew by my area phone code that I'm about 20 miles away but she knew it would only take me 1 hour to do and was only willing to pay me £20. When I asked her where she got 1 hour from, a friend who knows about these things told her,
When I suggested he comes around and do it, she hung up on me, as I replaced the phone I remember thinking...my,my what a silly young lady, or words to that effect.

Happens to me all the time fitter.

I get sharp intake of breath when I mention a figure. Ask if its too much. Yes. Ask how much they would be willing to pay, and either get a don't know or a figure that would have you or I ****ing ourselves.....if it was funny.

My Dad who was a sparks/chippy all his working life told me not to work for the general public but I did not listen, who does when you are 16. It's one of my biggest regrets, I hate working for them.

I've seen a real change in them in the last 10 years or so, they know it all,
which I put down to these bloody stupid tv programes, which do nothing except fill the publics head full of s**t.

If you are an honest tradesman, who believes in doing a good job, for decent money, you might as well give up ( as a lot have already done).

My favorite saying from the public, " I want a top job, done cheaply", don't we all.
Never mind about builders from hell, how about customers from hell.

Fitter
The following has been copied from another thread where I posted this:

Whenever I get called to fault I ask

Have you drilled/had a decorator/ put up pictures etc......??

My friend asked me to change a Cu

one circuit tripped rcd on switching on

Didn't have proper tool kit so went round connecting each leg 1 by 1 till it tripped

he'd drilled thro a cable putting up kit cabinet.....

another customer:

can you come and sort me out my power has gone bang all of a sudden.

asked same questions. Then saw diy in kitchen. Sure you haven't done any drilling?

No, no, no. Looked for fault, there hours.

Turns out they had put a picture up thro a ring cable.....

Because they didn't point me in the right direction by being honest, it took me longer and they grumbled at the bill. So I said OK, get a spark of your choice to decide if that bill is fair and if they think not, then you pay what they think.

If they think more, you can pay me more.

She paid up pronto. Grumbling ungrateful *********!!!

While I'm grumbling, here's my last.

Called out to student land in manchester to fix no supply in bedsit.

9 miles there, 9 back, replace blown 30A main fuse, send bill for (i was stupid!!) £20.00

Landlady writes back saying here's a cheque for a tenner, I thought 20 was far too much.

My blood boiled, but did not feel like going to court over it. Lifes too short but hell, what a &%%** cheek..

What do you think of that?

I think that is taking the wee-wee... If you pay for someone to do the job, you pay the man.

I would be pretty miffed if I opened my payslip next month and found it less than my normal salary, "Sorry Adam, that study you did wasn't really that important, so we're only paying you half for those days!"

Now, I could understand it in the cases of some unscrupulous types, we all know someone who has had a man in who likes to disappear off for hours at a time but still invoices for them.

Seeing as it was a rented property, the landlady should have budgeted for that kind of expense or even had an agreement with a local handyman who should also have been able to perform such a task.

I left the building trade years ago and got fed up with the hassles which is a shame. I still do some private work when people twist my arm !

Last year, a workmate asked me to do a job for him. I said "No" ! but twisted my arm !

The job was to take out 2 single up & over door and replace with 1 double up & over door, remove all brick wall above and replace with pvc cladding. I told him how to do it as I still said "No, I'm not doing it" !

workmate: How long will it take ?

masona: 1 1/2 to 2 days

workmate: But you'll do it for £350 cash wouldn't you ?

masona: hmmm, okay then !

They supply the materials.

Started the job 7am and my son wanted to help me for a bit of pocket money, we both work flat out without stopping and finished it on the same day at 21:30

A total of 29 hours.

workmate wife decided to pay me £175 as I didn't take 2 days to completed the job ! They have plenty of money and even one of their last quote was £940 (labour cost).

I think from now on, I will take the money first !! If not, s*d them

My main gripe is not with the people I do work for, it's the time wasters you have to go through.

Like most, I say in my ad free quotes, yet I still go to have a look to find they have not even ordered their kitchen and I am asked to measure up and list what's required, this happens even after I've been told on the phone that it has been ordered. When I tell them that it is going to cost £25, refundable when I finish installing the kitchen, the free quotes gets thrown in my face and they will not understand that what they are asking me to do is work, which is not free.
I learnt the hard way that I rarely got these jobs and I was just being used as a free design service. I now tell them on the phone and surprise, surprise most do not bother.

On the whole I've been pretty lucky getting the agreed amount but have heard some real horror stories over the years.

The one I love is when you tell someone a price and they say "but 'so and so' say they can do it for (insert lower price than my quote)".
First to guess my usual reply wins a virtual cigar. :LOL:
The next on my hate list are those berks who ask for loads of extra work to be done after the job has started. When you bill for the extra work they say "but you said the job would only cost £xyz ???

masona said:
workmate wife decided to pay me £175 as I didn't take 2 days to completed the job !

The horrors of working for friends! Luckily as I am only a DIYer when people ask me to help I point out that I am not an expert and can only give them a hand.

A workmate of mine recently had a bright idea, he decided to clean out the trap in his flat. And how did he do this? By wrenching out the pedestal from under the sink! Everything (obviously) starts leaking, so I get an e-mail at work "Please can you help me sort it out, I don't know what to do!

I thought "seeing as it is an emergency, why not". I didn't realise it was a rented flat, I asked him why he didn't just put it back tell the landlady the sink was blocked AND leaking and get it sorted out. He was too scared about losing his deposit so I ended up wasting two evenings sorting it out for him (first night was too late to get a new waste, the old one was leaking and could only be removed by cutting it out). And I did about 20 miles in all driving back and forth to his place and down to Wickes to get the new waste (when he said he would get one in his lunch hour, he assumed Woolworths would sell them :confused: ).

Fitter

Me & you mate, we got the same f in customers!!

My worst scenario is eg quote for wiring for a kichen - "have you got the plans?"

Customer: "No, but all we need............."

Then if it's wrong it's your fault. I don't touch these with a barge pole.

I get work from Age Concern. The elderley ring AC up asking for a spark and they get my number. Being elderley and frail in many cases, I give them a substantial discount.

I got a call from an elderley lady who asked for a quote for a kitchen. I arrived to find a young geezer. Oh maybe grandson, I thought.

Anyway, no plans were forthcoming so I said I couldn't quote. He got exceedingly upset, even more so when his son came in the room (8 yo), and I asked him where Granny was. "Oh, she doesn't live here....." was his utterly truthful reply!!!

People used to ring up for rewire quote. I got so sick of spending hours on each one not to be offered the work, so I imposed a £40 fee, refundable on acceptance. No more rewire quotes for me!!

People were ringing up "just viewed a new house and it needs a rewire..can you quote?"

Which, translated, means

"My new house-to-be needs a rewire and I want you to tell me how much it will cost (A). I can then double the figure (B), knock it off my offer price, and then spend half the original figure (A/2) on a diy botch. The rest (B - (A/2)) can be spent on a new motor.

I HATE THEM!!!! But of course got my own back with the 40 quid fee. Now when people ring up ask for a quote I tell them how much it will be and why I have started to impose a fee, and they either go quiet and put the phone down, or if they're feeling cheeky, ask for a ball-park over the phone. my reply is a ridiculous one, either "2p" or "10K", whatever...........

Studders - you've hit another huge nail right on the head there....

I was up a ladder taking down a light fitting (having agreed a price) when the customer sidled in and said "My mate down the road can do 2 for £less than you quoted." So I waited till she had gone put the light fitting back and made to leave. As I was walking down the hall, she came in and said "all done - that was quick" (WARNING - THIS MEANS I WANT TO RENEGOTIATE THE PRICE AS IT TOOK LESS TIME THAN YOU ANTICIPATED). "No" I said, "You can get your mate to do it, I'm leaving...."

I was caught by the "extra work" scam myself. NEVER again. I always issue a freh estimate (carry an NCR pad of estimates with me) for all extra work, no matter how small, and explain that the new cost will be ORIGINAL + EXTRA, not the same price.

I've seen everything now, including the famous "If you do a good job for me, I've got lots of mates......" Fell for this in 1996 soon after going alone, and to this day I have not heard from her again..

Some traders I know have customers who regularly haggle for a discount. They add a little on and say "It will be X pounds (ie X + 15%) then knock 10% off for them!!

Then there's the geezer (worried about the cost agreed with his wife - who was paying) who asked two questions during a rewire:

first "Can you save a bit by not replacing the cables? (VIR!!)

second: "OK, I can see you have to replace the cables, as they are perished. How about saving a bit by reusing the switches and sockets.......?"

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back