it tickles me when.............

I think that the reason a lot of people say "But I thought it would cost £X", or "So and so can do it for £Y" is a combination of a few things:

1) we have all been brought up to think that the majority of tradesmen are rip-off merchants (like it or not!)
2) we are used to going into a shop, and paying the price on the item, not getting to the checkout and finding it has gone up
3) we are all used to Price Promises, where for high-value items it is worth shopping around and making sure you are paying the lowest price

Now, obviously these don't translate well into the world of contracted work!

Perhaps if the various trade bodies got together and had TV advertising campaigns on the virtues of using tradesmen, showed how to check they were accredited and also explained why it costs a lot of money then the number of idiots would decrease!

Sponsored Links
Adam... Would the number of idiots decrease?, I doubt it, as you point out people just do not trust tradesmen, no matter what proof you supply them with.

As I said before, these tv shows make everything seem easier than it is and I do believe that a lot of people think it's possible to build a 4 bed. detached house fully fitted in 2 days.....we all know it takes nearly a full week.

I have heard many people say they are taking a week off to "sort out" their new house, in your head it might sound like enough time "that should only take one hour, this might take a day" etc. etc. But it is seldom long enough.

I would be interested to see some of the "changing rooms" houses a few months later after the MDF has fallen off the walls. I hate that programme, the rooms always look like someone has come along and given the room a very dodgy paint scheme and screwed some very shoddy MDF mouldings to the wall. And that Linda Barker? Barker is the word, what a dog! And I reckon a dog has more taste and design skill.

I prefer "Property Ladder" and "Million Pound Property Experiment", they seem to end up with solid houses afterwards. They take months, tens of thousands of pounds and professional tradesmen (usually).

Securespark,

Glad I'm not the only to fall for the"I've got loads of mates" line, in truth I fell for that a good few times, my stock answer now is "I do not know when I would be able to fit them in as I have more work than I can handle", kinda nips it in the bud.

I intend to retire in 2 years (not that I have made my fortune), I can't wait, just not having to put up with all the c**p day after day will be priceless.

Sponsored Links
I'd like to retire now and kick Part P in the n*ts.....

Back