Its a strange thing being English

The challenge with nationalism, as with many things, is it depends where the individual sits on the nationalist scale. The more extreme end of the scale is where issues are likely to develop leading to problems.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of the country you were born and raised in, its traditions and values and to consider it better than other countries where the assertion would be valid based on things like democracy, equality etc.

I was born and raised in Scotland to a white Scottish mother and brown Indian father. He fecked off when I was barely born and I've had zero to do with that side of my family in all my years, as in zero. Many on here will know more about India and its culture than me. I don't say that as a boast or shy admission, it's simply a fact.

So to that end, although I have dark skin, I'm probably more Scottish in many ways than mixed race folk that very much have the foreign side in their upbringing, if that makes sense?

Further although I consider myself Scottish, I would assert I'm not as Scottish as someone named Tavish McTavish who can trace their Scottish lineage back on both sides for multiple generations. They are more 'Scottish' than me. Having said that, depending on how they live their life, they might not be as Scottish in terms of values and traditions.

It's complex, but not a load of b 0 l l 0 c k s.
Mrs B's Dad is Indian, he fùcked off before she was born.

Sponsored Links
is there anything such as English are yous not a bastardised nation a mixture of everyone who kicked your ar5e in the past Romans , Angles , Saxons Vikings and the Normans

I think that makes us what we're where and are.

Definitely. And I think in time, some of the best characteristics of more recent immigrants will also rub off on us. I've always had a huge number of friends, including many from different cultures. What I have noticed, particularly from hanging out with people from the Indian sub-continent, whether they be Muslims, Hindus or Sikhs, is how repressed many English people still are. I have always been naturally drawn to people who are outgoing, funny, caring and generous.

Sponsored Links
I have tbh, I'm pleased he fecked off. Ok, I'll never know what life would have been like had he stayed, maybe better who knows. However it's equally possible I'd have been put into an arranged marriage and, depending on what his views were, who knows what I'd have thought of the UK and its values.

I have tbh, I'm pleased he fecked off. Ok, I'll never know what life would have been like had he stayed, maybe better who knows. However it's equally possible I'd have been put into an arranged marriage and, depending on what his views were, who knows what I'd have thought of the UK and its values.
I find Indians in general law abiding good citizens who adapt to the British way of life more so than some other Asian nations.

I find Indians in general law abiding good citizens who adapt to the British way of life more so than some other Asian nations.
A covert way of saying you prefer Sikh, mostly punjab, to certain other religions. Lots of indians are not sikh.

A covert way of saying you prefer Sikh, mostly punjab, to certain other religions. Lots of indians are not sikh.
A very small % are Sikh
Top of my head 80 % Hindu
30 MMillion Muslim
10% Sikh
5% Christian

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back