It's like the Falklands war all over again.

Sounds like the intro to the movie 'Lord of War' where you see the manufacture of a single bullet to the scene where it speeds towards the face of an African child.

What did he say in response to your question?
He said they all think about it but they've all come to terms with it. How far down the chain does it need to go? They make the guns that are used to kill people, does the machine tool supplier need it on their conscience???

People kill people, not the guns, the bombs, the bullets, the . . . . .

Sponsored Links
He said they all think about it but they've all come to terms with it. How far down the chain does it need to go? They make the guns that are used to kill people, does the machine tool supplier need it on their conscience???

People kill people, not the guns, the bombs, the bullets, the . . . . .
People kill people...is a lame excuse - arms manufacturers get away with murder.

As I have said

The french scoundrels can never be trusted

They even carry out terrorist attacks
On passive friendly countries

People kill people...is a lame excuse - arms manufacturers get away with murder.
I did my first proper firearms training with a legend named Bill Parr. Before we started Bill laid the guns out on the table & told me they're just harmless chunks of metal until someone picks them up. He told me that guns are good at only 1 thing & that 1 thing is they WAIT. Guns are very good at waiting, they can wait forever for someone to pick them up.

Sponsored Links
I did my first proper firearms training with a legend named Bill Parr. Before we started Bill laid the guns out on the table & told me they're just harmless chunks of metal until someone picks them up. He told me that guns are good at only 1 thing & that 1 thing is they WAIT. Guns are very good at waiting, they can wait forever for someone to pick them up.
When i were a lad an old farmer took me rabbitin', handed he a .22 and warned: "ne'er think to tek gun 'til tha's made sure 'tis safe." And made me check to see if it was loaded. I always assumed a gun was loaded until i knew otherwise but it's one thing to keep rabbits out the veg patch and a very different matter to manufacture and sell arms around the world where unscrupulous regimes use them to hunt innocent people; such as the Saudi's in Yemen or the Rohingya in Myanmar.
Russia is using cluster bombs in Ukraine which, as far as i know, are illegal under International Law, yet these weapons are still made and used.

Well, at least no members of the government invest in Russian energy ... that would be a scandal!

Russia is using cluster bombs in Ukraine which, as far as i know, are illegal under International Law,
That law is not accepted by all. Pretty sure the USA doesn't. Same with some other destructive projectiles.

Consumers can boycott any company that is squeezing a profit from the Russian war. If the French stopped filling up at Total and TotalExpress because they believed the company's hands were dirty they would soon sever ties. Le Mond will do a good job of raising the profile.

At the moment it looks like the upstream (well technically mid-stream) end of Nord 1 is in severe technical difficulty because they cannot store/shut down the gas, that was meant for Germany. Russia is basically burning £10M of gas a day, polluting the atmosphere and wasting the earth's resources.

Was it Jeremy Clarkson that called the French "Garlic munching surrender monkeys"?

Don't know about Jezza, but remember the original as 'cheese-eating'. Not sure who said it..

Spent almost a week in the Pas De Calais area late last Dec. Oddly I found the locals to be civilised, well mannered and actually verging on friendly. Just occasionally, stereotypes aren't always accurate. Also have a sneaking admiration for the fact they stand up for their own interests. Wish we did the same here.

Last edited:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail used the term but it is older than that. Never thought it was that funny. French citizens played a key role in WW2 in tying down the German army, mostly through the resistance. It is significant how right wing a good proportion of the country seems to be though. Interestingly France had two thirds the number of military deaths that the UK had but a greater combined total of military and civilian deaths.

Blup

France's and other's problems in WWII was pretty simple. Not enough prepared for what Hitler had managed to build up. If no channel we would have probably gone the same way. We then needed to get arms of various types production levels up to well over what Germany could achieve. One of the more important items that were needed in much higher numbers was aircraft. USA helped a lot really then Russia made Hitlet's position even more impossible.

Be the same french who during the falklands had technicians working on exocets in argentina also denying there was a kill switch in the exocets which were used to kill UK servicemen .
What do you think about the country that sold two state of the art guided missile destroyers to Argentina shortly before to Falklands war?

What do you think about the country that sold two state of the art guided missile destroyers to Argentina shortly before to Falklands war?
before is not during
and if your on about the type 42 destroyers they were ordered in 1970 with one built in uk and delivered 1972 the other built in argentina and eventually commissioned 1981 after being damaged in a terrorist attack in 1975 .

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back