Its that time of year!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Switched on the central heating, and, nothing!! After some investigation I thin kthe 3 way valve has gone. If I manually pull the lever over the boiler fires and things start pumping, but as soon as I let go, it springs back. Its a Honeywell valve with an 'auto' and 'fill/drain' setting on it.

Is this a big job to change/fix it? All the plumbers I have called are busy for the next couple fo weeks. like I said, I guess it is that time of year...

Sponsored Links
Not an enormous job, but it could be the actuator head.

Remove the head, operate the programmer and see if the spindle moves. From your description it's unlikely that it will.

Confirm that you can manually operate the valve - if it's OK then you just a new powerhead, and there's no need to drain/fill.

If you decide to DIY on the powerhead, messing this job up could be expensive to put right, but not if you heed this advice.
DO NOT REMOVE ALL THE WIRES AT ONCE THINKING THAT YOU CAN REMEMBER WHERE THEY GO.
Instead, carefully snip the wires in the wiring centre one by one and leave some of the plastic coating so that you can see where to put the new wires ONE AT A TIME.

If you do get stuck because of a change of colour in the wires stop and get more advice

I have done loads yet I still often take a pic with my phone just to be sure; incase any of the wires in there are loose.

Just to also point out that you can only remove the actuator without involving it being a wet job if it has a little bump on the top casing and only two screws holding it on. Mind you sounds as though it may just be the motor inside in which case it don't matter.
As far as wiring goes I usually use a 5 pin m/f connector and chop the old wire. Much easier and also more handy for future changeovers.

Sponsored Links
chop the old wire
I agree but haven't found a really ideal connector. Translucent terminal blocks "Choc boxes?"are the neatest I've found. Suggestions??

just picked up this thread from last year. All went well thanks for the input guys. It was the actuator. I took some photos before and after to make sure all the wiring was okay. worked a dream!

Phew, that's a relief. Everyone has been wondering what happened for a almost a year!

ajwt2 said:
All went well thanks for the input guys.
ajwt2 - please ignore the sarcasm from the previous poster. It's always nice for some of us to hear a response back, and all too rare that it happens.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back