ITV (and others ) logo on screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys , I`ve had to come over here from Plumbing and Building ( those things I know about) because we`ve just got a new lcd tv .Our 15+ year old LG sound packed up - So now we`ve got this Samsung series 4 . And the itv logo displays in the top L/H corner. We`re on sky , is there any way of removing the logo ? In the instruction book it says these can burn into the screen - but I thought that was a bit overkill :confused: It`s just a bit annoying as it didn`t display on the old TV. Thanks in advance for any ideas

Sponsored Links
If it is part of the TV transmission signal then no. The TV companies have taken to branding their channels with semi transparent logos because they think we are dumb and might forget which channel we are watching ;)

However, if it is the TV simply displaying some channel info (unlikely, since you are watching via Sky) then there's usually an info button to toggle stuff like this on or off. But I'll just reinforce that since you are watching via a HDMI or SCART socket then if it is the info button then I'd expect the TV to show HDMI 'X' or AV 'X' rather than ITV 'X' which you would see if watching Freeview.

All the above is pretty academic though if you have either an LCD or LED TV. From what I can see online, Samsung Series 4 sets are LED, so screen burn isn't an issue.

Thanks Chris , I`ll just have to tune my brain to ignore it ;)

Sponsored Links
If you mean the transparent logo as mentioned then do not worry about burn in.
They move them slightly each ad break to avoid this on older TVs and new TVs don't suffer the same.
However for gamers out there that like very bright screens with games that have lots of fixed info eg racing, COD it can burn in a little but putting a normal channel on for a while should help it clear.

My GF sometimes likes to put on one of the music channels with a logo, while she plays online games for hours.

To avoid burn in, I just set the "aspect" to "zoom 1" issue solved - (at the expense of some picture degradation).

Nige unlike the old plasmas it will take about 500 solid hours to burn an lcd and led won't burn at all.

Could you explain why LCD may burn but LED won't?

[Please folks, no help from the audience. That means you too Sam ;) Thanks]

Spoilsport. I was about to leap off my twisted nematic crystal platform! :rolleyes:

Could you explain why LCD may burn but LED won't?

[Please folks, no help from the audience. That means you too Sam ;) Thanks]

When I bought my 9000 series samsung LED the spotty teenager in the shop told me the difference.

He told me wrong then? I'll stick to roofing then, lol :oops:

Yep. He gave you a bum steer.

LED and LCD are essentially the same except for the way the screen is illuminated. LCD uses miniature fluorescent tubes. LED uses Light Emitting Diodes (hence LED) as a light source. But in both cases the thing that makes the picture is an LCD screen. So an LED TV is simply an LCD TV with light from LED lamps.

This is why screenburn isn't an issue. It doesn't affect LCD screens in normal use. If you are viewing this thread on a laptop then you're looking at an LCD screen which has been displaying static images for hundreds or even thousands of hours... and you don't see any Windows or Apple icons burned in to the screen. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back