I've been exposed to asbestos

the only way that asbestos rope will do him any harm is if he hangs himself with it

Sponsored Links
SS The school should have shown you their asbestos register, but also you should check to see if one exists. (What about your induction course?)

You will be ok, so long as the asbestos rope was not disintegrating it will not cause any problems to you.

did you have any idea of the potential risks or are you just playing dumb to get a payout of some sort? two months is unlikely to have put you at serious risk unless you have been messing with the really nasty stuff like monkey dung. rope seals and asbestos pipes are likely to be low risk.
Yeah Monkey Dung :eek: been on 3 jobs in the 70`s where we were crawling all over it ( so maybe 2 months solid exposure daily ) - and I smoked Players Navy Cut ciccies @ the time :rolleyes: . TBH I`ve got other things to worry about ;) and with my luck I`ve got another 30 years to play on this forum :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Monkey dung, also used to be known as bull muck, asbestos fibres mixed with sodium silicate then smeared on steam pipework for a smooth insulated finish.

Wotan

I am quite sure that when a site has been surveyed and asbestos found they have to have a asbestos registrar and place notices up in the affected areas advising you of it,, the school will have a diary of any injuries or accidents so make sure you register it with them

Stop whining FFS. Cigarettes kill 50% of those that smoke them - over 100,000 per year - but you aren't jumping up and down shouting about that are you? Whinge when you are dying - and not before.

Stop whining FFS. Cigarettes kill 50% of those that smoke them - over 100,000 per year - but you aren't jumping up and down shouting about that are you? Whinge when you are dying - and not before.
well done Joe ,some great advice there

don't really like working there...and i fear for my future health...

walking away, only puts the next Site supervisor in risk, and he may end up with cancer... :confused:
This has to be a wind-up although it displays what a huge amount of opportunistic, grasping scroungers there are out to take all they can from this country without the slightest thought for giving to our fine nation.

Aaaanyhoo, you are more likely to come to harm by sniffing the notes in your wallet that you are from some dreamed up hazard within your school.

Is there ANYTHING that you like about that job SS? I've NEVER seen a single member on here spout so much shyte about his employer. You're either very unlucky or a trouble maker. I ain't made my mind up but I'm swayed toward the later.

SS The school should have shown you their asbestos register, but also you should check to see if one exists. (What about your induction course?)

You will be ok, so long as the asbestos rope was not disintegrating it will not cause any problems to you.

true...they should have shown me the register...but i only got to see it a week ago, when the contractors came in to 1.) renew the external soil pipe 2.) remove and relay the plastic flooring.

I genuinely never knew if one existed, or what i should do when i see one.

inductionn course?...lol...it was a ten min meeting with the Head, where we spoke of the times i was to work, and then went for a walk with the former caretaker, to be shown how to open and close doors, and empty bins. truley.

Oh, another thing i forgot to mention, the register is due to be renewed in 2 months time.

I know so, because I rang Capita, who manage the school, and told them of the incidents. within 1 hr of me ringing, the "asbestos" man came with his gear, and spent today morning, and last afternoon, compiling a full, i mean FULL survey of the entire building, I mean ENTIRE.... :D

I pray HSE come to the school and speak with the mangement.

Just for the record, I can't sue the school, as I have not been affected, as this was clearly pointed out by the "asbestos man". If anything HSE will make them pull out their cheque book, and remind them of their responsibilities towards their employees in the school.

Rope seal was pointed out as low risk, but only if not disturbed, or not drilled into... :eek:

Wrong . One fibre of the wrong type of asbestos can kill you in years to come.
Its just your luck whether you are susceptible to it

Double wrong! Where is your evidence? That's like saying smoking one cigarette in your life will give you cancer, or eating red meat, or having sex will give you aids.

MOST people of a certain age have breathed asbestos dust, at some stage, but they haven't died due to breathing it in, and have led a full and healthy life.

Micky you're wrong, well according to the guy that hosted the last asbestos awarenes course i went on you are and i've been on two, the second was a more intensive course, i have also been on a 3 day asbestos operatives course too.

In theory it CAN take just one fibre but in the real world you are very unlikely to just breathe in one fibre.

Asbestos dust, consisting of millions of tiny airborne fibers, floats in the air and gets into the lungs. The body responds by forming scar tissue when small asbestos fibres are inhaled. Extensive scar tissue formation is what can lead to lung cancer, asbestosis, and malignant mesothelioma.

Once inside the body, asbestos fibres can increase in size due to ferrugination, or the permeation of iron in the fibre. When an asbestos fibre lodges itself in a lung, the body's immune system tries to fight it.

The body has cells called macrophages in the immune system, which exist to absorb, or eat, foreign particles or bacteria in the body. When an asbestos fibre gets into the lung, the macrophages try to absorb, or eat the fiberes. But remember, asbestos fibres are slivers of crystal rock, so the macrophage is unable to destroy or absorb an asbestos fibre. The fibre continues to travel throughout the lung, causing scar tissue. The macrophage attack on the asbestos fibre also leaves iron deposits and causes the fibre to increase in size due to ferrugination so as you can see it really CAN be just one fibre to kill you

Sponsored Links
Back