I've been exposed to asbestos

In theory it CAN take just one fibre but in the real world you are very unlikely to just breathe in one fibre.

Asbestos is naturally occurring and is naturally air and water born.

We all breath naturally occurring asbestos fibres every minute of every day. Yet we don't all die from Asbestosis or cancer caused by asbestos.

Some people are predisposed to suffering to asbestosis and the other illnesses it causes, but for the vast majority it takes extended exposure to the more serious forms of asbestos before they are at risk.

Asbestos can be dangerous, but there is a lot of unnecessary hysteria whipped up by the ignorant or by those with a vested interest in people being scared witless of the slightest hint of the naturally occurring material.

This thread is a prime example.

Sponsored Links
sensible post that, different types of asbestos, white for example is very common millions of asbestos roofing slates have been produced for domestic properties, my own house had them along with dozens of streets in the district with no underlay the dust was all over my roof space
as i imagine it is with millions of other properties across the UK.

Naturally occurring asbestos does not occur in Britain its mined else were. Many miles away. Made dangerous when its miss handled during and after manufacture into parts So, there shouldn't be any natural asbestos being breathed in by anybody in Britain.

Sponsored Links
you have to breath it in for years end up with cancer.

That is not a true fact. It is unknown. Would you play with fire that COULD kill you???

All the relevant laws are there for a reason. TO protect us all, 4000 people a year in England are killed by asbestos.

Is your life worth saving your employer, customer or even you & your family a few quid???

Russian Roulette

[phone number removed]

Stop whining FFS. Cigarettes kill 50% of those that smoke them - over 100,000 per year - but you aren't jumping up and down shouting about that are you? Whinge when you are dying - and not before.

eating food and drinking water kills 100% of people who take part in such supidity. God you are a knobhead.

I'll edit that, a totally and self confessed uneducated knobhead....... knobhead.

Res erected the post - :LOL: . I`m still alive and on the Old Holborn now

Stop whining FFS. Cigarettes kill 50% of those that smoke them - over 100,000 per year - but you aren't jumping up and down shouting about that are you? Whinge when you are dying - and not before.

Source?

I was reading recently that in Italy they had tried and given 20 year sentences to two asbestos or Eternit barons for gross negligence and had ordered them to pay millions in compo. All in absentia though as the barons didnt show at the trial and are now in Switerland or Belgium.

Its hard going, in the commie times they loved it here and houses are leathered in it. Its in pre fab roofs, insulation boards and decorative tiles on my place but Im wary of it, getting the pro's in soon to do half of the demolition so Im avoiding the part of the house with it in, leave it to them.

I saw an interesting program a few years back about asbestos production in India. They buy millions of tons of raw chrysotile from Canada and most of it, predictably, goes into roofing sheets. The factory in India was just a mass of fibre all over the place. There was a huge extractor on one wall that must have been covered in a 3 or 4" thick layer of loose fibre. An old boy was cutting sheets on a 30" bench saw. He'd been working at the factory for as long as he could remember. Not a mask or any other PPE in sight.

A Romanian guy enrolled with an agency,and they phoned him that he has to turn up at a certain site, in about 3 hours, but before he does that, they need an asbestos awareness certificate, so he enquired with them what the heck is it and where can he get one from in such a short time...sure a n asbestos awareness course means attending some classes and that could take days!

But the Agency said just go on line and do the course it should take 1/2 hour!

seriously! so this Romanian guy who does not understand well enough was given a web link and asked to do this course.

He came to me to help him as he does not have an internet!

So I clicked on the link, registered with the asbestos awareness site, and paid £30 plus vat with that guys credit card, started the course, wrote down all keywords and it consisted of 4 parts and each part would ask 3 questions that you had to answer correctly, before it would allow you to go to the next section, and if you got one question wrong, it would give you 3 tries,

the final questionnaire is based on 8 questions, and here you need to get all 8 right, and guess what 1 it took us just over an hour and I printed his Asbestos Awareness Certificate!

That is shocking!

How could anyone train or issue asbestos awareness certificate to those who have never seen any asbestos!

i wonder how many gas safe engineers pass their tests like this?

I had a feeling, when he was suppose to start his job at 5pm, for the night work, he was back at 8pm that day and I asked how come he is back so soon, he said I don't know they told him to go home!

Later on it transpired that they purposely took him to a place where there was asbestos lined wall and he was asked to clean that area, but he did not point this asbestos lined wall and started to clean the wall, they saw that he failed to notice that the wall had asbestos lining and so knew he does not really know how to identify asbestos! idiot! :LOL:

Shocked at your actions Mike. The test may have been online but you effectively helped someone to get a qualification they should never have had. Indeed when on site he could have ingested or inhaled something that would have killed him years later.
Your phrase ' it took 'Us'' just over an hour . . . . . really??

The test may have been wrong but he should have done it on his own and if necessary failed.
The idea of failing is to PROTECT himself , you and others if he doesn't know the subject which he obviously didn't.

He did the test, using my laptop and my internet, but I helped him with understanding certain words, some questions he answered were not correct and he had 3 tries to get them right, only here I consulted him and explained to him why his answers were wrong, the notes we took down are with him and I have told him that he should go through those notes and key points and remember those key points.

I am not shocked at the fact I became his tutor, but the fact that such sites are available and people can pass their safety awareness test in hours without attending classes.

The guy knew about Asbestos, even I thought I knew quite a bit about it, so on the whole it was a good experience and an eye opener for both of us,

The main essence of the awareness test was that if you have any doubt as to any material you are about to handle or drill or cut, it may be asbestos, then Don't proceed if you are in a doubt, and stop and consult your supervisor or employer. end of the day you are responsible.

Then the other main point was that it is You who are responsible for providing safety and breathing equipment if you were given a job to work on asbestos, do not rely on others to provide you with protective gear

and to avoid contaminating any areas where you are working.

We both discussed the notes and studied together, and wrote key points on a paper,

Key points were:

Asbestos is a wide range group of naturally occurring mineral, contained within the earth's surface.
had been or may still be in use in:
Fire protection, Brake shoes, air filtration in hospital ventilators, cigarette tips, in Military gas Masks!

1920 -first death occurred
1931 First asbestos Industry regulation
1945 Most widely used during the WW2 and following it.

1985 Blue and Brown asbestos banned in use in Uk
1999 white asbestos was banned

Use of asbestos totally banned after 1999.

2004 duty to manage asbestos regulations enforced
2006 control of asbestos regulations introduced
2012 any work done on asbestos is notifiable by non-licensed operatives

Materials which contain high asbestos contents; between 50 to 100%
Sprayed coatings, Thermal Insulation, asbestos textiles including fire blankets, asbestos paper,

Medium density: between 25 to 50%fire resistant boards, some floor and vinyl tiles, linoleum.

lower density: between 1 to 25% asbestos plastics, toilet cisterns, textured coatings like Artex, cement facials, soffits,

(All of above are considered as medium to high risk to health except the toilet cisterns which are considered as lowest risk (if they are made of fibrous material and not clay/china)

Artex contains between 3 to 5% asbestos so is relatively low risk, but still should be handles with care when peeling old ceilings.

If you suspect anything may contain asbestos, then see your supervisor or take precaution when handling that material, use your common sense.

ACM, asbestos containing materials: example:''
Artex, sprayed coatings, asbestos cement and sheet & moulded products,electrical fuse boards, insulation and lagging on plants and pipes,floor covering and tiles, insulating boards for walls covering, gas and electrical heating appliances, fire proof textiles and gaskets and others.

AIB, asbestos insulating board

Asbestos kills around 4500 people in UK each year

There are two main groups of asbestos:
1. AMPHIBOLES - this iron bases silicate structure, it has Hydroxyl layer on the outside, meaning it is HYDROPHOBIC and so it repels water

2. SERPENTINE - this is Magnesium based silicate structure, this one has Hydroxyl layer to inside, so it is HYDROPHILIC, they are easy to get wet or absorb water.

Main types of asbestos are
Blue, also known as Crocidolite ( it has sharp needle like fibres)
Brown, also known as Amosite ( it has sharp needle like fibres)
White, also known as Chrysotile - ( it is a soft curly type structure ) this is most commonly used in building materials

There are 3 other less common types:
Tremolite
Actinolite
Anthophylite

People who are self employed or small contractors need to adhere to Health & Safety Act at work 1974

Employers or Duty holders. Became responsible for employees under the Management of Health & Safety at work regulations 1999
( a duty holder is an employer, or a tenant, or a contractor)

Control of asbestos regulations were introduced in 2012,

2002 Duty to manage asbestos in non-domestic premises regulation 4.

[/b]

As kids, we often used to hang around the school boiler room, where the pipes were covered in the stuff.
We once built a den out of scrap aheets from a mate's garage which had been demolished.
Our scout cub hut was full of the stuff, from roof tiles down to the walls.

And now people go running for cover when they so much as see a piece of asbestos sheeting. One suspects a little preciousness here.

Sponsored Links
Back