Japanese (110V) electric toilet

Though for increased safety ( or rather reduced risk ) I would centre tap the 110 volt secondary to earth and/or CPC of the 110 volt system thus limiting touch voltage ( relative to ground / CPC ) to 55 volts or less.
One has to be very careful with centre tap. To use a centre tap all the control needs to be two pole. Switches, and any relay plus fuses. Although we do not fuse a neutral with centre tap it's not a neutral so line 2 does needs fusing.

As to other safety features as with any item we must hope the manufacture gets it right. To buy a British version which will have passed British safety laws I would think is better than hoping the grey import has the safety built in. I would think there is no problem with Japan would be worried if made in China. However one would consider the same for German stuff. However German stuff for export does not have European safety features so unless one has bought it in Japan and personally shipped it here you have no way of knowing if designed the same as one for home market.

Sponsored Links
About £400-500 from a company called Ascot Hygeine.

Suffice it to say in common with the rest of the uk population I will not be asking the jobs worths for their approval.

Suffice it to say in common with the rest of the uk population I will not be asking the jobs worths for their approval.

I'm pretty sure the majority do, in fact, follow these regulations.

It's for your safety but it's also the law and you don't generally get to pick and choose which laws you want to obey. "in common with the rest of the uk population", will you not be bothering to mot your car, on the assumption that you know it's safe and don't need a jobsworth to tell you?

Finally, I'd also like to point out that that your electrician appears to have confirmed what the professional electricians on here (which I am not) have been telling you all along. They're obviously too polite to say "I told you so".

Sponsored Links
One has to be very careful with centre tap. To use a centre tap all the control needs to be two pole. Switches, and any relay plus fuses. Although we do not fuse a neutral with centre tap it's not a neutral so line 2 does needs fusing.

I agree that all control must be two pole but fusing need only be in pole as a fault other than Live 1 to Live 2 will unbalance the RCD and trip it cutting pole Live 1 and Live 2. A fault Live 1 to Live 2 or an over load will take out a single fuse in either Live, Problem with two fuses is that one may assume that as one fuse blown then the othe will also have blown, it may not have and one Live may still be at 55 volts. If the first fuse opens before the second has opened then the second may not open.

Is the toilet really rated 110V and if so which country is it intended for? Japan has 100V mains. I thought 110V was only standard in parts of the carribean and central America.

Not saying a 110V transformer won't work and sorry if it's a thread-drift but just curious.

About £400-500 from a company called Ascot Hygeine.

Christ Borbs, that's exactly what I want. I think you just ruined the wife's birthday present (but made my Christmas).

So now the obvious question... bearing in mind that these are made, designed and tested for the UK, why on earth would you install a Japanese version (aside from the fact that they are probably better?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back