Johnson & Strarley Hi-Spec M31 again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have some questions about our Johnson & Strarley Hi-Spec M31

The fan motor has become very noisy and we're getting pretty fed up with the way the system works overall really and the fact that two of the upstairs rooms (bedroom 3 and bathroom) and the kitchen are not directly heated by it is also very annoying.

I'm not up on pluming regs at all so please bear with me.

We have a small cupboard down stairs right in the centre of the house where the boiler is and matching cupboard upstairs that houses the hot water tank.

If we decided to move to a wet system would it be suitable to house a combi boiler where the water tank now lives?

Due to concrete floor downstairs I would also prefer to locate and plumb the radiator locations my self using hep2o type piping (10mm?) is this an option?

Any feedback would be great.

thanks

Sponsored Links
yes you can do everything you ask but would probably mean the flue for the new boiler going up through the roof, is there not an outside wall that would suit for the boiler ? also beware that the existing flue for your WAU will possibly be asbestos

Thanks for the reply,

unfortunately due to the layout of the house anywhere else would mean a lot of work and probably a lot of money.

I thought running the flu through the same run as the current one, once removed might be an option.

I think it will probably be asbestos as it looks like we have asbestos panels on the backs of the doors to both cupboards.

I guess ill start to do some measuring and looking at rads.

thanks

also bear in mind that your new flue will need inspection hatches anywhere it is boxed in or hidden even though your old one didnt

Sponsored Links
Only a gas reg engineer should be running the flue ( and certain parts of installing the boiler. )

The old warm air units can be repaired but as you see many were seriously budget instals and many did not supply the upstairs directly.

Still one of the most popular type of heating in Canada and the States!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back