Poor upstairs water pressure solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have just moved in to a new house (new to us not a new build) the house is about 12 years old, has a glow worm boiler downstairs a tank in the airing cupboard and a cold water tank in the loft. The water pressure for all the taps up stair is awful and the shower (in each bathroom) which is an in bath one is also very low pressure. The boiler is not a combi.

Any not too expensive solution to improve the overall upstairs pressure, down stairs is much better but no where near as good as our last house thst had a combi

Thanks Darren,

Sponsored Links
I think you may have a blockage in the cold feed.

Checking that the gate valve in the airing cupboard isn't stuck/restricted would be my first check.

servotech,

Thanks for the response, exactly were would this valve be and is it something I would need a plumber to sort or is it a potential DIY job?

If its not this will my only option be a pump? to be honest I thought this kind of pressure was normal upstair in a house without a combi boiler!

Sponsored Links
Yes its on both the hot and cold taps, its better downstairs but still not as good as the old house with the combi boiler

Actually now I've got home I tested the taps again and the hot taps are all poor and the cold are poor on the shower which is a mixer off the bath taps and the other bath in the family bathroom is poor on all the taps and the mixer shower head, this tap could be a high pressure tap so causing the issue.
So in hindsight its likely to be more of a hot water pressure issue.
Could you still increase the pressure on all upstairs taps to overcome the issue?

thanks, are they expensive to fit generally and do they add much to the electricity bill?

Thanks for the response, exactly were would this valve be and is it something I would need a plumber to sort or is it a potential DIY job?

If its not this will my only option be a pump? to be honest I thought this kind of pressure was normal upstairs in a house without a combi boiler!

It's the one with the circular red top usually in the middle of the airing cupboard with the pipe leading to the bottom of the cylinder.

Increasing the size of this pipe to 28mm will improve the flow as would lifting the hight of the cold water storage tank in the loft.

All the above I would say are not really DIY jobs.

servotech,

PS You could check the storage tank for a blockage (a stray ballvalve seating in there makes a good job of slowing up the flow)!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back