Joinery / Ironmongery Inspiration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking for some inspiration for how to bring cabling through or behind a (to be) built-in desk. The desk will be fixed to a wall consisting of vertical timber cladding attached to horizontal studs - so there will be a helpful void behind the cladding. I'd like to bring power & IT cables through from under the desk in as neat a way as possible & with the option of changing in future. I'm wondering about some flaps in the cladding, but am not sure what kind of hinges/fittings would work, be robust & give the neatest finish. I'd like to place a few flaps, for flexibility, so ideally they should either close completely flush, or leave a small space for cabling, depending on the particular arrangement of equipment on the desk.

Any suggestions, advise or alternatives gratefully received!

Thanks,
Adam

Sponsored Links
You can get cable cover plates to go into circular or rectangular (routed) openings. Circular ones are generally 60 or 80mm diameter and the holes are drilled using a hole saw. The rectangular ones ideally need a router and template to cut out cleanly although with care the cut outs can be done with a jigsaw and an appropriate blade.

Google "desk cable knockouts", "desk cable grommets" or "rectangular desk cable tidy"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, both good suggestions. I had seen things like that before but am ideally looking for something which blends in more - either with the desk or the wood cladding.

Sponsored Links
If you have vertical cladding, presumably you mean wainscotting?

You could design a section of the panelling so that joins are hidden by moulding/vertical seams in the design. Hold the removable panels on with magnets or the same fixings used in public loos to hold wall panels. The bottom of the panelling/cladding could hover above the floor

At the top, you could cover the gap with a strip of material the same as the desk top. It could be hinged or magnetically fixed. Make it slightly higher than the desk top and fill the gap with draught excluding brush to allow cables to come out.

Hmm, I've not heard of wainscotting, but a quick google suggests not. I've attached a picture of a similarly clad wall (vintage 1914 I think) in another part of my house.

Using magnets instead of fiddly cabinet hinges is a really good suggestion which I hadn't considered. I don't precisely follow the second bit of your suggestion but it's definitely giving me some ideas, thanks.

Attachments

• 2020-06-16 17.41.12.jpg
    2020-06-16 17.41.12.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 106

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back