Joist / Lintel Conflict Round II

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've now gotten the low profile lintels replaced for the load carrying side of things. And I just had my outer skin lintels delivered. They won't fit as per the original plan.

As can be seen, the single skin lintel is too high. As it is only carrying the load of 3 rows of bricks, it's over rated, but at a 2.7m span, I couldn't get a smaller alternative.

I see two options at this point
1) Trim and re-passivate the top of the lintel and use cut bricks.
OR
2) Notch the joists (I know joist notching is a red flag, but it's outside of the span).

Both will maintain the required structural integrity, though I would rather not modify the factory supplied lintels. But likewise, don't really want to notch the timber.

Any thoughts or reasons to favor one solution over the other?

Cheers,
Fubar.

Sponsored Links
No problem there - just notch the joist.

Notching (within reason) won't affect the bending stress in the timber (which is maximum at mid-span) nor will it affect the maximum deflection.

All notching at the end does is increase the shear stress at the bearing, and that is hardly ever an issue in domestic loadings.

It's a no-brainer; round 11 to the notched joist.

Noseal, the conflict isn't with the bricks, I'll slice them up if need be, it's the steel lintel that's too big.

Cheers Tony, I was leaning towards that solution. Providing I have enough left over to attach the fascia to (which I'm sure I will) it won't be a problem at all.

And it's only round 2, I was going roman on my numbers :p

Fubar.

Sponsored Links
You certainly should not trim a lintel as in your first option

Notching the joists in that location has no impact on performance, as they are spanning the opposite way!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back