Joist span and where to drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm aware that if you're going to drill through a joist to feed cables though, you've got to be between 25% and 40% along, no closer than 2 inches from the edge and no closer than 3 diameters from the next hole.

However, where exactly do you measure the 25 - 40% from?

I've got some joists that go across to a supporting wall which is the dividing wall between kitchen and diner. The joists actually overshoot the supporting wall by a foot or two and end up running alongside the joists in the next room.

Do I measure 25% along the supporting span (ie from the supporting wall), or do I measure from the end of the piece of wood? The extra bit that overshoots isn't really doing anything and so I wondered whether it counted.

Sponsored Links
25 to 40% of span from each end.
The span is measured from support to support (ie the wall).
The 3 diameters apart is from hole centres, therefore leaving 2 dia of meat between holes.

Sponsored Links
general rule of thumb... drill down the center of the room and keep the holes 6 inches apart and in the center of the joist ( vertically ).. can't go wrong then..

The span is measured from support to support (ie the wall).
Thanks for clearing that up :D
The 3 diameters apart is from hole centres, therefore leaving 2 dia of meat between holes.
Ah, I'd been working from the edges of the holes. Still, I guess that's erring on the safer side as it gives them 3 diameters of meat rather than two. Better that than the other way round!

general rule of thumb... drill down the center of the room and keep the holes 6 inches apart and in the center of the joist ( vertically ).. can't go wrong then..
I don't follow what you mean - surely the centre is not within the 25% - 40% range?

Also, what happens at light fittings hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the room? I've been assuming that I use fittings that have the cable entering near the edge of the backing plate and then allow this to overlap off the edge of the joist, allowing the cable to run down the side of the joist and into the fitting. However, I've also heard of people drilling a smallish hole diagonally upwards into the bottom of the joist and out of the side to provide a path for the cable. What is the preferred method?

Surely centre of the room is 50% and out of the 25-40% zone?

I've been assuming that I use fittings that have the cable entering near the edge of the backing plate and then allow this to overlap off the edge of the joist, allowing the cable to run down the side of the joist and into the fitting. However, I've also heard of people drilling a smallish hole diagonally upwards into the bottom of the joist and out of the side to provide a path for the cable. What is the preferred method?

Personally I clip down the joist vertically at the light fitting position and don't drill a diagonal hole.
Sometimes when first fixing I install a piece of 3x2 between two joists to get dead centre. I'll drill a 20mm hole with a flat bit for the cable route.

Surely centre of the room is 50% and out of the 25-40% zone?

The 25-40% area is where to drill, not where to avoid. By making holes in the very centre (horizontaly) of the joist is the WORST place to drill as its the weekest point of the joist !!

it's been a long time since I did any domestic work... I'm mainly industrial..

and the coffee hadn't kicked in yet.. :eek:

I've been assuming that I use fittings that have the cable entering near the edge of the backing plate and then allow this to overlap off the edge of the joist, allowing the cable to run down the side of the joist and into the fitting. However, I've also heard of people drilling a smallish hole diagonally upwards into the bottom of the joist and out of the side to provide a path for the cable. What is the preferred method?

Personally I clip down the joist vertically at the light fitting position and don't drill a diagonal hole.
Sometimes when first fixing I install a piece of 3x2 between two joists to get dead centre. I'll drill a 20mm hole with a flat bit for the cable route.

Ye olde faithful Noggin. :LOL:

I guess if I want a light fitting to line up with a joist I could fix a bit of 3x2 alongside it and drill into that. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back