Juddering shaking brand new boiler...HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its me again, I appear to be the unluckiest houseowner in Britain. I should be on DIY SOS!

So, brand new combi boiler, closed system, Worcester Bosch boiler. Cost 2 grand including installation. Is now, three months later, making weird noises when the central heating is on (not when just hot water). It makes loud dripping/gushing sounds internally and the pressure gauge jumps up and down madly, until I turn the hot water on and it stops for a bit and then starts again. It only does this when attempting to heat the radiators (which are all working fine by t e way) Pressure is on about 1.5 bars so should be OK, and it all seems to be working, just making scary movements and sounds. It also periodically makes a loud juddering noise and shakes voilently until I have to turn it off and leave it for a bit.

Any ideas why? I'm a bit loathe to call out the central heating guys who installed it as I don't want to pay a callout so soon. Should they not have noted anything that need amending or changing for the new system when they fitted it? Surely that's why I paid them a grandto fit it so it would all be done properly? Although I'm not sure how these agreements work of course...

Thanks!!

Laura

Sponsored Links
Laura, Do you have an Ariston or a Worcester boiler. How can both the boilers be new. Both your posts are recent. Are you taking the P155

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if its overheating but the primary stat or limit stat should have kicked in on a worcester ? the next thing is system contamination usually too much inhibitor and cleaning solution still in the system .The boiling temp is lowered so the water gases up and the pressure gage bounces, does not overheat as its only at around 75deg c. Drain some system water when hot into a bowl if its all frothy thats your prob.

Laura, Do you have an Ariston or a Worcester boiler. How can both the boilers be new. Both your posts are recent. Are you taking the P155

I know what it is.... Laura must have a thing about chatting up us sexy plumbers ;)

Well, I do have a thing about chatting up sexy plumbers (especially seeing as you all earn about a million pounds a day), but actually I'm also a moron - my old boiler was an ariston, my new one is a worcester bosch and I got confused as to the makes when I wrote the first post!!

I have a feeling that my inlet pipe thingy (when you need to put more water into the closed system?) isn't closing properly as the pressure is always too high (like 2.5-3 instead of 1.5) and things calm down when I let some water out. And I just know I am going to get charged for that!!!!!!!! Would that make it overheat?

Having said that this morning it seems to have calmed down (and the pressure has gone down) even though the heating is on! I did check the inlet tap thingy last night, so maybe I've miraculously cured it.

I'll report back as I'm sure you're all waiting with bated breath!!

Laura the plumber-chatter-upper. :D

Disconnect the hose from your pipework as it may be letting by.
Keep your pressure at around 1 bar.
Any problems and I will come around personally as long as you are single and fit:cool: :oops:

Disconnect the hose from the pipework? Hmm, how does a poor single fit female do that? I think its the tap thing that's weird, its not a proper one, its like a bar thing that is only off when it is horizontal, turn it either way and it lets water in.

Althugh the chemical solution symptoms sound like mine, but no foaming (well, not more than normal anyway with our hard water).

I'm sure everyone would be well impressed if I had a plumber come round who lived in Italy!!

I might go on an evening course and become a plumber actually, its a whole other world...

Laura :cool:

Disconnect the hose from the pipework? Hmm, how does a poor single fit female do that?
I'd love come and to sort ur plumbing out but I may have to stay overnight till I diagnose it properly ;) and if you're really fit It might take me a few visits to make all the adjustments. Just for you I'll accept payment in spaghetti bolognaise and pizzas. The popemobile wont be used for a while yet, and I can borrow it. So getting there wont be a problem :D :D :D

Yes we are all waiting with "bated" breath to know about your boiler as we are all master baters ;)

Master Baters and Pervs by the looks of things!

I don't eat beef cos its gross (i.e. nothing to do with moral or religious grounds), so would have to be quorn bolognese. Mmm.

Have decided to wait til I'm off work for decorating purposes in a few days and get the heating engineer geezers back in as it is still doing it and nothing seems to stop it...

I have another exciting post for you soon though, as I am a freeholder of another flat and the leaseholder is having a nightmare with her boiler now, so I said I'd ask the question...keep your eyes peeled!!!!

Don't crash the popemobile slugbaby.

Laura-the-plumber-chatter-upper :LOL:

I knew you wouldn't take the 'BATE' and your right about the pervs. Ive only made 2 posts on this topic and you're geeting to know me already.
No probs about the beef. Maybe if I brought some pork to try and if that didnt work perhaps you could put it in a pie for me. However please dont ask me to call when you have got the decorators in as I always get covered in paint.
I might be a perv but I am otherwise a trustworthy guy -
Metaphorically speaking I wouldnt sell you a pig if all you needed was a large sausage.
I hate to see people having trouble with their boilers and being the helpful sort of guy I am is why I post here. I had a real big problem with a boiler myself once and it took me a long time to find the answer which was >>> to divorce her!
Anyway I'll quit with the 'quorny' jokes and peel my eyes for your next posting.

PS
Don't worry about the popemobile >>> it's bulletproof

That T shaped thingy is supposed to come out when it's off. Then there's no chance of the connection being open.
No you wouldn't have made it overheat doing anything there.
You might notice excess water has dripped out of the pressure relief pipe which goes straight through the wall if it can.

Skip the installer, unless he comes without a fight. Call Worcester. It sounds a bit like some switch is sticking or the pump sticking. If not then the W man will give you ammo to fire at the installer.

By the way, which of WB's boilers IS IT!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back