Junction Box Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a 4 -spot halogen fitting in our small bedroom which I intend to replace with a bog standard pendant fitting (ceiling rose etc.) However, on tracing the cable back into the attic, it ends (starts) in an old junction box alongside the switch and circuit wiring. As I intend to floor the attic soon, I am presuming I will need to replace the JB with something reg-compliant (Ashley/WAGO etc.) because the JB will no longer be readily accessible. Not enough cable to wire into new ceiling rose and not re-positioning light to suit.

Can anyone advise me of a suitable replacement please.

Many Thanks,

B.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply PB. Much appreciated.

Apologies if I ought to have created a new thread but....

Purchased the Ashley box with the intention of fitting it. However, I am concerned that the box clearly states DO NOT COVER. Before I fit it, I would like to be assured that it's fit for the purpose hence asking for advice on here. I have checked the Hager site and read the literature on there. It doesn't mention anything about covering the box.

I am assuming that the warning relates to directly covering the box (fire hazard?) and therefore my intention to fit it under loft flooring in a space between joists [where it is 'covered' but indirectly] would be acceptable. Is that correct?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't want to go ahead and fit anything potentially dangerous.

Thanks to all,

B

Sponsored Links
Ideally the product does not want to be covered, so if insulation is in the area lay or fix the box above it.
Yes the warning is overheating/fire related.

Thanks again PB. That's put my mind at rest!

The same applies to the cables.

Hmmm...That's not going to be easy. All the cabling in the loft space is covered by insulation and, as far as I can tell, has been like that since the cabling was done [well over 20 years ago]

Not enough play in any of the lighting cables to raise them above the insulation so would mean clearing lots of insulation away from where the cables currently lie (all over the loft space)

How are these things normally done?

There is a derating factor that is applied to the route and method that cables are run.
Generally a lighting circuit protected by a Fuse/MCB rated at less than 6A, when using 1.00mm twin and earth cable, would be safe to be covered by thermal insulation.

Thanks PB. The cabling in the loft is just the upstairs lighting circuit (ceiling roses and wall switches) AFAIK, it is all in 1mm T&E. This circuit has its own MCB rated 6A (when I say rated I mean the MCB is labelled as 6A) The insulation is the itchy roll stuff (which I found to my cost)

Given this, I assume I should be okay!

B

Yes.

Didn't mean to worry you.
I was just pointing out that the junction box shouldn't be covered because of the cables; not the box itself.

it is all in 1mm T&E. This circuit has its own MCB rated 6A (when I say rated I mean the MCB is labelled as 6A) The insulation is the itchy roll stuff (which I found to my cost)

Given this, I assume I should be okay!

B
You assume correctly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back