JUNE2011-Combi- PromaxHE33 vs Worcester 30cdi vs Vaillant831

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've been reading many posts that are 2006, 2007, some 2009 on comparison of boilers.

I believe much must have changed.

I'm looking to choose between the following:
Potterton Promax HE PLUS A 33kw. Gives 15l/min DHW @ 35 degrees at a cost of £800 incl Flu kit

Vaillant Combi 831 31Kw. Gives 12.7 l/min DHW @ 35 degrees at a cost of £1150 includes flu kit and clock

Worcester 30CDi gives 13.1l/min DHW @ 35 degrees at a cost of £1050 includes flu and digital programmer

I believe the Potterton and vaillant give 2yr guarantees and Worcester will give 3 if installed before end of AUG 2011.

Many forums keep favouring vaillant eventhough the posts may be old.

I cant think of why there is a jump from the Potterton model , perhaps the valliant and Worcester use higher quality metal / build on the inside - just a guess.

Could anyone advise of the current reliability of a properly installed boiler from the above.

Thanks for helping me make a good choice. :arrow:

Chili

Sponsored Links
Vaillants prices are so because they are built with best materials available. Can't comment too much on the other two as only dealt with the vaillant brand(maybe bias slightly) but never had any major problems what so ever with them. Might seem slightly expensive but they are an amazing boiler!! Another possibility would be the glow worm Ultracom 2 35cxi 35.7kw giving 14.6l/min DHW @ 35 degrees, Glow worm have massively come on since the original ultracom release. Not 100% sure on the price but will be a lot cheaper! Hope this helps! :D

the potterton is a reasonable mid-priced boiler.
Vaillant is more expensive due to quality build and reliability.
Worcester is more expensive due to quality marketing and sales support.

Sponsored Links
Potterton Promax HE PLUS A 33kw. Gives 15l/min DHW @ 35 degrees

Vaillant Combi 831 31Kw. Gives 12.7 l/min DHW @ 35 degrees

Worcester 30CDi gives 13.1l/min DHW @ 35 degrees
The flow rate is not determined by the boiler; it is determined by the size of pipe entering the house and the water pressure.

You need to measure the cold water flow rate at the kitchen tap, which is fed direct from the mains. Use a marked bucket and a watch.

If there is also a garden tap straight off the mains, check the flow at the kitchen tap with the garden tap off and then with it on.

If you install a boiler whose nominal flow rate (@35C rise) is higher than the actual flow rate, all you will get is hotter water.

Why do you think a combi boiler is the best option for your house?

look harder then, hydraulics & electrics.

Tried looking harder, still see Giannoni heat exchanger and diverter, plastic flow switch, (hoses gone thankfully), std gas valve. Electrics consist of PCB, connectors and some cables - nothing new there. Perhaps you could find the £400 worth of difference from a Biasi.

look harder then, hydraulics & electrics.

Tried looking harder, still see Giannoni heat exchanger and diverter, plastic flow switch, (hoses gone thankfully), std gas valve. Electrics consist of PCB, connectors and some cables - nothing new there. Perhaps you could find the £400 worth of difference from a Biasi.

The entire hydraulics, including the diverter valve, are unique and very reliable. The electrics, including the pcb, are unique and very reliable.
The heat engine is generic as you've correctly pointed out, if you think its no different to a Biasi then fit Biasi's, doesn't bother me.

Vaillant i must admit are excellent an for me the best about, the ideal logic tho is hot on the heals so far! vaillant technical tho are downright awful

The facts were asked for and I gave them. Glad you didn't disagree!
well you must have a reading problem then, cos im sure the op asked for opinions on the 3 boilers mentioned. They didnt ask for a viessmann employee to continue his spam advertsing campaign of the forum. You've really put me off ever installing viessmann tbh.

you dont need to make excuses why you advertised your companies products. Your normally pretty shameless about it, why change a habit of a lifetime.

Must be something to do with the weather all this testerone on here. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back