JUNE2011-Combi- PromaxHE33 vs Worcester 30cdi vs Vaillant831

Sponsored Links
my two penneth is the worcester! get it fitted by a worcester accredited engineer and get a 5 yr warranty ( plus the extra year on offer at the mo makes 6)

excellent back up as prev stated...no brainer really!

if you think its no different to a Biasi then fit Biasi's, doesn't bother me.

I don't use either. The parts you mentioned are made for Vaillant, but not by them. The build quality of the Sine's and VCW's are long gone. The electrics were more reliable but most are these days. If it doesn't bother you then there's no need to be touchy. It's your favourite boiler I'm insulting, not your wife.

Sponsored Links
if you think its no different to a Biasi then fit Biasi's, doesn't bother me.

I don't use either. The parts you mentioned are made for Vaillant, but not by them. The build quality of the Sine's and VCW's are long gone. The electrics were more reliable but most are these days. If it doesn't bother you then there's no need to be touchy. It's your favourite boiler I'm insulting, not your wife.
its not my favourite boiler and i rarely install them, nor do i have or want a wife. Just pointing out where you had made a mistake for the sake of accuracy in the post. Comparing a vaillant to a biasi is laughable.

Comparing a vaillant to a biasi is laughable.

Why? Properly installed there's no noticeable difference to the consumer. Everyone can claim their electrical parts are bespoke in so far as you can't fit them to another make. Biasi have to be cheap because they're not well known. In the UK fame always counts over substance.

One person on the forum asked why I chose combi over system boiler.

The apartment currently has a over 25 year system boiler and copper tank.

The flat is rented.

by getting a combi, i'll get room as the cylinder and storage tanks go.

However, I recall an engineer tell me that on a comparison of combi vs system, he gets far lesser calls on a system boiler. He did not mention any make at the time.

For me to make a decision, its come down to make:

Potterton 33KW approx £800 (inc flu & clock)
Worcester 30CDi approx £1150 (inc flu & clock)
Vaillant 831 approx £1050 (inc flu & clock)

All give similar DHW - over 12.7 litres per min at 35 degrees C.

Another user asked to check water pressure. I have not measured but have a 'large' tap. if cold water is opened, the water splashes off the basin - with no drop in pressure! I shall measure but mains pressure seems to be quite good.

One user has posted that if Worcester is installed by an approved engineer, I'd get 5 + 1 year = 6 year warranty. Where can I find this info?

Thank you for the many posts people have submitted. :)

Why? Properly installed there's no noticeable difference to the consumer. Everyone can claim their electrical parts are bespoke in so far as you can't fit them to another make. Biasi have to be cheap because they're not well known. In the UK fame always counts over substance.

I repair ALOT of boilers, and its all Ive done for the last 12 yrs, working for service companies, manufacturers and now self employed. I can assure you that in terms of reliability Vaillant p1sses all over Biasi. Biasi are cheap becuase they use cheap hydraulics and pcbs. Diverter leaks, seized pumps and pcb failures are common on Biasi boilers. They also try and recover the losses on boiler costs by having ridiculously expensive spares, and charge customers for warranty calls. I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. You go ahead though. Italians are well known for reliable engineering :LOL:

op in answer to your question about finding info!

go on wb web site, find an installer, post your post code and it will give your nearest 5 accredited installers. i suggest pick two or three and get quotes, advice. They will all offer the six yr warranty.

I repair ALOT of boilers, and its all Ive done for the last 12 yrs, working for service companies, manufacturers and now self employed. I can assure you that in terms of reliability Vaillant p1sses all over Biasi. Biasi are cheap becuase they use cheap hydraulics and pcbs. Diverter leaks, seized pumps and pcb failures are common on Biasi boilers. They also try and recover the losses on boiler costs by having ridiculously expensive spares, and charge customers for warranty calls. I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. You go ahead though. Italians are well known for reliable engineering :LOL:

What he is trying to say is he is a vaillant back door effort

Biasi are cheap becuase they use cheap hydraulics and pcbs. Diverter leaks, seized pumps and pcb failures are common on Biasi boilers. They also try and recover the losses on boiler costs by having ridiculously expensive spares

They use the same hydraulics as on most boilers. The diverters leak if they're not maintained. Later Vaillant diverters don't need maintenance but did have to be re-called when they had epidemic failure rates. As they did for burner seals which resulted in meltdowns, also hoses which resulted in flooding. Then Wilo pumps had to be changed for Grundfos and there is still a problem with flow switches. On the VUW, the diverter leaked into & rotted the microswitch, fan failures took out gas valve & PCB. Parts are dear on all combi's, apart from Baxi. Overall They're no better or worse but I've noticed more modifications made by Vaillant than anyone else.

Tibbot";p="2036573 said:
Later Vaillant diverters don't need maintenance but did have to be re-called when they had epidemic failure rates. As they did for burner seals which resulted in meltdowns, also hoses which resulted in flooding. Then Wilo pumps had to be changed for Grundfos and there is still a problem with flow switches. .

yep...................although Vaillant is all i fit , domestic wise anyhow.

Italians are well known for reliable engineering :LOL:

Gianonni Hydraulics (Not SS Heat ex made by French Co of same name)
Caleffi valves
Zilmet vessels & Plate heat exchangers
Cewal gauges
SIT gas valves
Natalini flues & fans
Fime fans

are parts commonly found on combi's, including some on Vaillant & WB. Engineered and made in Italy. Or did you think Vaillants were hand made by Tutonic Knights wearing Lederhosen under their overalls?

im not gonna argue you with you, because this will go on forever. Your happy installing cheap italian cr4p so good luck to you. I would suggest before you comment on a boiler though you actually look at one. Clearly you havent in this case.
btw you were miles off with some of the vaillant failures you've mentioned, but cba to post on this thread anymore. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back