Just A Couple Of Pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know how much you guys like pics of rickety ancient electrics so i thought i'd share these with you. I had to go and do testing on this feeder pillar in this substation a couple of days ago and took a couple of pics. It's an open busbar type- that's right three metal busbars completely exposed with 3 phases live. It dates from probably the early 50's. The other pic is of- i think the curcuitry that controls the street lamps connected to the 5th core of the PILC cable.
IMG00017-20110222-1417.jpg

IMG00016-20110222-1416.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
it all looks like something out of a frankenstine film! especially that old knife switch!

Nice, 3 ways with spring contact fuse holders, one converted to wedge type. It's even still got the sockets to allow fuses to be changed without loss of supply

Sponsored Links
A modern one after going BANG!

IMG_2881-1.jpg

11kV OCB and water do not mix!

IMG_1830.jpg

Outdoor pillar (in poor condition and due to be replaced) during fault finding operations!
DSCF0302.jpg

50 years ago (!) I came across some water insulated circuit breakers in Leicester power station.

I know you guys know, but I always find it funny when Joe public or factory maintenance electricians see how old and sometimes how knackered the switchgear is that is supplying them.....a huge chunk of most DNO networks switchgear is over 50 years old....but to be fair its the older stuff that can take the big bangs...
3-6.jpg

2-7.jpg

1-8.jpg

but to be fair its the older stuff that can take the big bangs ...the new SFG gas stuff is designed to explode in a certain way to direct any blast away from operators....
4-4.jpg

Can anyone tell me why DNO equipment tends to have the phases in the opposite order to normal?

There are many Local Pase shifts in my DNO, Southport for instance the 11000/415v transformer HV side is connected BLUE YELLOW RED from Left to right and then crossed back again on the LV distribution board, which I believe produces a 30 degree phase shift........Liverpool city centre has a B R Y phase cross that remains unchanged on the LV side.....The old school rule of thumb for Switchgear in SP is, excluding Transformers is "RED RIGHT REAR" ie when looking at the rear cable box Red is on the right, when looking at the right box red is on the rear.....

phases in the opposite order to normal

It varies within companies, where I am based it is the standard Red Right Rear though we do have a lot of overhead lines with red in the centre.

A City about 35 miles away has a variety of phase shifts
It seems to be mainly historic and a carryover from pre-nationalisation days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back