Just a thought on these new colours...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So was ripping out some old factory installation the other day. I noticed how difficult it was to tell between Red and black cables, and even the red, yellow and blue cables on three phase machines.

Then it got me thinking, if I struggle on this, how hard will it be to differ between brown, black and grey in 20, 10 or even 5 years time!

I think the new colours were a bad idea, just a money making scheme!

Sponsored Links
come across this a bit too, cables covered in grease and dust.

you can normally distinguish between them with the help off a rag! :LOL:

my views on the new colours is that in 3 phase installs such as factorys i dont think its too much of an issue. i believe that if your working on a system such as this in this environment you should know what your doing anyway and it shouldnt really be a problem.

perhaps the biggest problem with the new harmonised colours will be in domestic environments where diy'ers may get confused. time will tell

i don't see too much chance of confusion with most domestic stuff, after all we've been using brown/blue flex for ages.

the only area that might cause some problems is 3 core SWA because the obvious thing to do and what the electromafia reccomend doing differ.

plugwash said:
the only area that might cause some problems is 3 core SWA because the obvious thing to do and what the electromafia reccomend doing differ.

We have always used L1 as phase, L2 as earth, and L3 as neutral when using 3phase coloured cable on single phase, I see it as sensible to carry on doing the same, think of the confusion if you had to extend such a cable, etc... (yellow joined to grey...) plus saying black is neutral is clinging to the past a bit.....

I don't always agree with the NICEIC, but I think they are talking sense abot this

Sponsored Links
personally i always use black as earth and grey as neutral, correct sleeving applied obviously! ;)

as im aware there is no definitive answer to this though, apart maybe from what adam says regarding the NICEIC stance on this.

have seen a few posts where sparks are using black as neutral in keeping with history.

would be nice if it could be outlined in the new regs so we could have a set industry standard....then again if all correct sleeving is applied it shouldnt be much of a problem.

Adam_151 said:
We have always used L1 as phase, L2 as earth, and L3 as neutral when using 3phase coloured cable on single phase, I see it as sensible to carry on doing the same
i disagree

think like a diyer, imagine 3 phase is either something you have never heared of or you have a vauge idea exists but don't know any details about.

imagine that you are familiar (as any reasonablly competant diyer should be) with both the old british single phase codes and the new single phase code codes (which have been used in flex for ages)

now take a cable with 3 cores, brown black and grey.

brown-that must be live, same as plugs
black-that must be neutral same as most of my fixed wiring
grey-that must be earth because its all thats left

plugwash said:
...think like a diyer...

I have always been on the side of letting DIY-ers get on with it, but the more I see, the more I am leaning towards banning DIY electrics.

Yes, I know it couldn't ever happen, but, considering that everyday technology is beyond the comprehension of the majority, they really should be protected from themselves!

dingbat said:
plugwash said:
...think like a diyer...

I have always been on the side of letting DIY-ers get on with it, but the more I see, the more I am leaning towards banning DIY electrics.

Yes, I know it couldn't ever happen, but, considering that everyday technology is beyond the comprehension of the majority, they really should be protected from themselves!

BASIC EDUCATION FOR (preserving) LIFE

You will never stop DIY no matter how strong the legislation. Imagine a black market in cable and fittings behind the pub. So educate the very minimal necessary at school. If nothing else teach wht happens when it is done by ignorant people ( if the school budget can afford the necessary materials ).

I recall seeing a one kilowatt fire with a thin lighting flex fitted in place of the fabric covered cable. Very effective demonstration.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back