Just curious - railway, road to nowhere.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They have been very busy out the back of my house, upgrading and improving the rail line to electrify it - no pylons added yet. At the back of my garden, is a fairly new railway metal fence, 50 or so yards of railway wasteland, covered with bramble, the odd tree and bush, then the two lines, in a shallow cutting. A couple of weeks ago, they came along with a very large digger, and cleared a pathway alongside the fence, about 20 feet wide, but left the growth alone between the line and the cleared path, in fact all the debris from the cleared area, was piled up between cleared path and lines. The cleared road/path, only runs for some 200 yards, where there were no trees, then terminates where there are trees.

There is already a wide access road directly alongside the line, which leads to some sort of newish signal building, so why would they spend a couple of days clearing this, alongside our back fence? They cleared a similar path, but much narrower, when they replaced the rotted timber original fence around 10 years ago, but much longer.

Not complaining, because the sheer quantity of bramble, posed a bit of a fire risk, to my own property, and it's always trying to makes its way through the fence - just curious as to why the would do it? Besides which, I have no special liking for blackberries.

Sponsored Links
They have been very busy out the back of my house, upgrading and improving the rail line to electrify it - no pylons added yet. At the back of my garden, is a fairly new railway metal fence, 50 or so yards of railway wasteland, covered with bramble, the odd tree and bush, then the two lines, in a shallow cutting. A couple of weeks ago, they came along with a very large digger, and cleared a pathway alongside the fence, about 20 feet wide, but left the growth alone between the line and the cleared path, in fact all the debris from the cleared area, was piled up between cleared path and lines. The cleared road/path, only runs for some 200 yards, where there were no trees, then terminates where there are trees.

There is already a wide access road directly alongside the line, which leads to some sort of newish signal building, so why would they spend a couple of days clearing this, alongside our back fence? They cleared a similar path, but much narrower, when they replaced the rotted timber original fence around 10 years ago, but much longer.

Not complaining, because the sheer quantity of bramble, posed a bit of a fire risk, to my own property, and it's always trying to makes its way through the fence - just curious as to why the would do it? Besides which, I have no special liking for blackberries.
Storage?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you'll be on the new multibillion rail fiasco from Birmingham to Old Oak Common.

Accommodation or temporary works access, h&s like an in/out system

could be anything really
temporary drop off point for material to transfer to rail
the length decided by possible obstruction like bridges stopping the use off say railway cranes or other reaching the road access point directly
but fully a guess

Most likely...

Happened near us where the railway company/network rail 'reclaimed' some land they apparently 'owned' that used to be allotments but had been abandoned due to the council withdrawing any services and permissions...

The area is now taken up by shipping containers and vehicles that are used for track maintenance.

could be anything really
temporary drop off point for material to transfer to rail
the length decided by possible obstruction like bridges stopping the use off say railway cranes or other reaching the road access point directly
but fully a guess

Is near enough, the correct answer. I managed to find a way to write and ask them....

The reply suggests they are temporarily extending their existing working compound and storage area, further along the trackside, from where it is at the moment. At the moment, it is limited to an area close to our village station, a station which has been closed for months, whilst improvement work has been taking place. During which time, they have been running coaches, as a rail replacement service.

The reply suggests they are temporarily extending their existing working compound and storage area, further along the trackside, from where it is at the moment.

Their reply also suggested they would be using the new track, for moving earth, to make level space for their temporary compound, piling it up to a maximum height of around 2m. I was really expecting what has happened since then. They have moved massive amounts of soil, up the track, and dumped it along all the house rear garden fences. It's so high, and so steep, it has in places, spilled beyond the railway fence, into private gardens. Rather than the 2m height, it is piled up to maybe 5m, with no certainty that the height will not increase even more.

Several trees, with birds nesting in them, have also been buried up to the tops of their trunks.

I've written to Railtrack, expressing my concerns.

Good job I build robustly...

I might just change the house name, to 'Mountain View' :)

1714044127781.png

1714044684752.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back